IMAX Locations and Info Thread

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
@okungnyo

Think of it like this too. At some point I think they are going to put the Laser projectors in all IMAX locations, perhaps when it is no longer so expensive to do the installation. 90% of the IMAX screens in the world are not traditional 1.43 ratio screens, so it makes sense that the Laser projectors are capable of both 1.43 and 1.90 ratios.

Oku
redfirebird2008 wrote:
okungnyo wrote:
redfirebird2008 wrote:Laser projection is not the downside of the Chinese theater. It has LieMAX aspect ratio with regular theater seating. But it's a giant LieMAX at 46 feet tall and 94 feet wide. CityWalk is 58 feet tall and 79 feet wide with proper giant IMAX steep angle seating.

I would do CityWalk first for the true IMAX experience, then go with Chinese later. Still a cool experience due to the history of that theater. Plus it has a shitload of seats, which is an interesting thing to see in general. :lol:
I thought all laser IMAX kept the original 65mm ratio of 1.44:1??
Laser IMAX can project in either traditional IMAX 1.43 ratio or in the LieMAX 1.9 ratio. CityWalk has both the 1570 film projector and a Laser projector.

They put the Laser projector at the Chinese so they could brag about how it's their flagship IMAX screen, but it's not even close to the best IMAX in the state of California. That title belongs to Metreon in San Francisco at 75.6 feet tall x 97.6 feet wide, plus there are at least a few others in Los Angeles area that are traditional 1.43 giant IMAX screens as well.
redfirebird2008 wrote:@okungnyo

Think of it like this too. At some point I think they are going to put the Laser projectors in all IMAX locations, perhaps when it is no longer so expensive to do the installation. 90% of the IMAX screens in the world are not traditional 1.43 ratio screens, so it makes sense that the Laser projectors are capable of both 1.43 and 1.90 ratios.
Thanks, that makes sense.

Not many movies being shot in IMAX 65mm, so no real incentive for IMAX to insist on that ratio.

okungnyo wrote:
Not many movies being shot in IMAX 65mm, so no real incentive for IMAX to insist on that ratio.
That is true. Anyone who is lucky enough to live in NYC or San Fran should cherish Lincoln Square and Metreon IMAX, especially in the case of Dunkirk. 99% of the IMAX releases are in 3D, which makes the screen look smaller. They are also in 2.40:1 scope aspect ratio, meaning they only cover about 55% of the screen space to begin with.

Dunkirk is going to cover 100% of the screen for 75% of the movie's runtime and there are no 3D gimmicks to make the image look smaller either. Just pure incredibly high resolution image on an extremely tall screen. It's a very very rare experience. The folks in NYC and San Fran are very lucky.
Last edited by redfirebird2008 on June 19th, 2017, 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

redfirebird2008 wrote:
Jesus of Suburbia wrote:I am going to go Universal City Walk to see this. Maybe the Chinese Theater as well since I never seen a movie there or been inside the theater. I know Chinese Theater is laser projector but it large screen and historical theater it will be fun to watch on that screen.
Laser projection is not the downside of the Chinese theater. It has LieMAX aspect ratio with regular theater seating. But it's a giant LieMAX at 46 feet tall and 94 feet wide. CityWalk is 58 feet tall and 79 feet wide with proper giant IMAX steep angle seating.

I would do CityWalk first for the true IMAX experience, then go with Chinese later. Still a cool experience due to the history of that theater. Plus it has a shitload of seats, which is an interesting thing to see in general. :lol:
That what I was playing on doing. I live in San Diego so i will watch at City Walk first and the next day go see at the Chinese Theater.

redfirebird2008 wrote:
okungnyo wrote:
That is true. Anyone who is lucky enough to live in NYC or San Fran should cherish Lincoln Square and Metreon IMAX, especially in the case of Dunkirk. 99% of the IMAX releases are in 3D, which makes the screen look smaller. They are also in 2.40:1 scope aspect ratio, meaning they only cover about 55% of the screen space to begin with.

Dunkirk is going to cover 100% of the screen for 75% of the movie's runtime and there are no 3D gimmicks to make the image look smaller either. Just pure incredibly high resolution image on an extremely tall screen. It's a very very rare experience. The folks in NYC and San Fran are very lucky.
True that. I'm one of the lucky ones going to see it at the Metreon, where I also saw midnight premieres for TDKR and Interstellar.

Stop the press:

The movie has been just confirmed it will have a Dolby Cinema release: this is absolutely the best way to see and hear it, the only problem is that there are no Dolby Cinema in UK at the moment :(

Although I have been to neither, wouldn't IMAX laser be the better option? Dual 4K laser projectors. Huge screens (including lieMAX) and a new 12 track audio system (includes overhead speakers too). One important thing is you'll get to see more of the (Aspect Ratio switch), and I'm guessing that Dolby Cinema will either be 2.20:1 or scope.

Anybody know if the Dolby Cinema version will have the same aspect ratio/onscreen information as the digital Liemax version? The imax screen is a little bit bigger and the speakers are louder, but the dolby cinema has a much sharper image, but I don't know which will be the better experience..

Rubow89 wrote:Anybody know if the Dolby Cinema version will have the same aspect ratio/onscreen information as the digital Liemax version? The imax screen is a little bit bigger and the speakers are louder, but the dolby cinema has a much sharper image, but I don't know which will be the better experience..
No. The Dolby Cinema version will probably be fixed 2.20:1.

AhmadAli95 wrote:Although I have been to neither, wouldn't IMAX laser be the better option? Dual 4K laser projectors. Huge screens (including lieMAX) and a new 12 track audio system (includes overhead speakers too).
There is absolutely no question on both image and sound quality: With Dolby Cinema movies You get REC 2020 colors with HDR, and the Atmos object sound. I bet the AR will be fixed 2.35 or 2.20, as every movie should be.