Pacific Rim (2013)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Allstar wrote:Is it just me or are these VFX groundbreaking?
Groundbreaking is a decent way to decribe the look of the film. It's so huge! The VFX is a huge part of that. This shit looks epic epic epic.

The VFX is top notch indeed, and it has to be for this to work. ILM lookin good !

Awesome trailer. VFX looks very top notch

the_red_ninja wrote:
I see a possible contender for Best Visual Effects this year. They're not only very, very well done, they are visually beautiful... Like a set of incredible little pieces of art in every frame. :shock: :shock:

I'm surprised this movie is so hyped. I would have thought the idea of giant robots fighting giant monsters would have been given the same treatment Transformers was given. I remember when I first heard about this I was convinced people would be bashing this movie, but it turns out I was way off.

MiracleSleeper wrote:I'm surprised this movie is so hyped. I would have thought the idea of giant robots fighting giant monsters would have been given the same treatment Transformers was given. I remember when I first heard about this I was convinced people would be bashing this movie, but it turns out I was way off.
in my very humble and probably mostly incorrect opinion... Stories are not really good or bad per se. How you develop them defines their quality. You can have a thoughtful, original and groud-breaking idea that ends up becoming a bad film. You can have a very simple story that ends up becoming a very good one. You can't simply say a movie is bad because it has robots fighting mosters, aliens invading the world, two guys having a conversation while smoking weed or dragons playing Sudoku... How well did you present the Sudoku-playing reptiles will define the quality of your movie.

MiracleSleeper wrote:I'm surprised this movie is so hyped. I would have thought the idea of giant robots fighting giant monsters would have been given the same treatment Transformers was given. I remember when I first heard about this I was convinced people would be bashing this movie, but it turns out I was way off.
Simply because it looks ten thousand times better than a Transformers movie, because it's Del Toro, because it's Del Toro with a 200 M budget and Legendary basically gave him everything he asked for, and it's giant Kaijus vs giant robots which is the main draw, and the visuals are gorgeous and make Transformers look like a little turd.

Wow, the effects look a lot better than the initial trailer.

I need this fucking movie inside me

The one thing that's impressing me a lot is the colors of the scenery. It looks really flashy.