2019-2020 Awards Season

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Bacon wrote:
October 8th, 2019, 4:02 pm
Dafoe might actually win Best Supporting Actor for this then. Both Joaquin and Dafoe could become Oscar winners this upcoming season. :shock:
Dafoe isn't the frontrunner. Pitt is by a health margin, followed probably by Picano and Hanks for the Mr. Rogers movie.

-Vader

How is Hanks a Supporting Actor in that?

Bacon wrote:
October 8th, 2019, 4:27 pm
How is Hanks a Supporting Actor in that?
Mr. Rogers is a supporting character. The main character is a jaded journalist played by Matthew Rhys.

-Vader

Bacon wrote:
October 8th, 2019, 4:02 pm
Dafoe might actually win Best Supporting Actor for this then. Both Joaquin and Dafoe could become Oscar winners this upcoming season. :shock:
No. He will be lucky to be nominated.

You got Pacino, Pesci, Pitt, Hopkins, Bale, Hanks and Foxx as well as others already in the race, and there will possibly be more contenders, after the release of Bombshell, Richard Jewel, Cats and Dry Run. It's going to be tight.

Master Virgo wrote:
October 8th, 2019, 5:04 pm
You got Pacino, Pesci, Pitt, Hopkins, Bale, Hanks and Foxx as well as others already in the race, and there will possibly be more contenders, after the release of Bombshell, Richard Jewel, Cats and Dry Run. It's going to be tight.
best actor and best supporting actor is absolutely packed this year. there will be multiple performances that could win in weaker years getting left out. it's crazy.

-Vader

I think these two categories are always super tight and there's always at least 7 or 8 worthy candidates each year.

I don't know when Waiting for the Barbarians is being released but Rylance tho

As for Best VFX, considering de-aging this year, I guess it's either a hit or a miss.

The Irishman
Gemini Man
Godzilla King of Monsters
Pokemon Detective Pikachu
Endgame
Captain Marvel
Star Wars Rise of Skywalker
The Lion King
Ad Astra
Alita Battle Angel

Any other guesses? MCU movies usually make it to the nominations but none of the MCU films have won that award so far. I think the only two superhero films to have ever won that award were Superman The Movie and Spider-Man 2?

Anyway, I guess The Lion King will be up for Best VFX because of the VR way they shot it, even though it's still a fully animated film... In that case Frozen 2, Toy Story 4 and How To Train Your Dragon 3 should be up for it too lol

Only half of my guesses will nab a nomination. I think Alita is the least likely to score a nomination imo.