2018-2019 Awards Season

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
So Gunn loses his beloved franchise and reputation over offensive jokes and Bohemian Rhapsody is going to sweep when Singer is an actual pedophile?

Good point, but it probably won't win more than one at best.

okay this is kind of a rant so bear with me.

I think it's a good thing that the Academy is opening up membership to more and more people and we are getting diversity and the popular films that were nominated reflects that because at the end of the day, a lot of people who work in film are just as average in terms of film tastes as someone who doesn't work in film.

Can you imagine Chris Pratt sitting down to watch Stalker? Or Henry Cavill deciding he'll wind down his day with A Brighter Summer Day? Is Gal Gadot going to have a double feature of Ossessione and The Postman Always Rings Twice with her friends?

Chances are you probably can't picture it at all. And that's okay because like a lot of normal people, these people have super busy schedules and probably can't devote the time to cinema the way most of the people on this forum do. For us it's a hobby, for them it's a job and I imagine talking about film all day at work can get tiring so like who would want to talk about film when they get home?

I think when I look at these nominations in these terms, I'm less upset now. I'm still bummed that my favorite movies weren't nominated but I think if these more popular movies getting nominated can introduce more people to film and be the catalyst for them to seek out other movies, then I think I'm okay with that.

Yeah the Academy broadening its membership base was never going to mean an automatically similarly diverse offering in nominations, you are simply going to ensure that more mainstream work gets a look-in guaranteed, hence Black Panther and Bohemian Rhapsody.

It's then bizarre that they can't get the CEREMONY right this year but whatever.

Also, it's Hollywood's night, not ours. We choose to participate in the race because we love how competitive it gets when our favourite movies are battling each other. The nominations should represent what Hollywood believed was of high quality that year, not ours. You Were Never Really Here and First Man are in my top 3, but I don't mind that they weren't nominated for Best Picture because I can celebrate them in my own way.

Social media tiptoeing around the fact that Black Panther is just not a well made movie, let alone Best Picture contender, is a sight to behold.🕷️

..or people like it and you're delusional

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
February 3rd, 2019, 3:46 am
..or people like it and you're delusional

-Vader
...or I’m specifically talking about people who did not like it but instead of saying it upfront are acting like king’s guard in Hans Christian Andersen’s fairytale. ‘What a magnificent cloth! Not sure I see all the intricate details but it is still, truly, a marvelous piece of wardrobe.’

Also, reported.🕷️

what’s there to report lmao

Ruth wrote:
February 3rd, 2019, 5:41 am
what’s there to report lmao
...oh...just...Vader’s...history... of calling people trolls, delusional or mentally deficient, just because one’s opinion doesn’t align with his.🕷️