Avengers: Endgame (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I liked RDJ in that Diane Arbus film he did with Nicole Kidman. Great performance and him and Kidman were amazing screen partners.

Allstar wrote:
April 18th, 2019, 4:55 pm
m4st4 wrote:
April 18th, 2019, 4:44 pm
Not to mention dude already worked for Kubrick, Mann, PTA etc. Why are we even debating his position in the pantheon.
Yeah, he use to work with auteurs but then he stopped. Cruise has my respect in regards to his career as a whole but his choices lately are boring. He likely turned down Once Upon a Time in Hollywood to do Top Gun 2. :facepalm:

In terms of megastars I respect the choices of DiCaprio and Pitt way more.
The last 2 Mission Impossible wasn't boring. They are fantastic. Totally love Edge of Tomorrow. The Mummy was an interesting concept but totally screw up by the script and director. Only Jack Reacher and American Made wasn't my cup of tea. Oblivion was good but sadly miss the mark. Tom Cruise needs to do more sci-fi. I'm totally up for it for him and Cameron to go and shoot in space.

m4st4 wrote:
April 18th, 2019, 4:03 am
PowerDump wrote:
April 18th, 2019, 3:47 am
Holy shit I just watched that full ET interview; no way in hell is she easy to work with lol. If you don’t see tension during it your aren’t looking. Brie comes off as someone who has a giant chip on her shoulder but no way was that just playful banter.
Of course, all of the ridiculous thumbnail YT videos saying Hems ‘HATES’ her are exactly that - ridiculous, but we’ve seen tons of playful interviews with the cast over the year and in this one you can just feel a) the immediacy in which Hems decides to poke at her because he knows exactly how she’ll react and b) her more than serious snap at him. It’s both verbal and nonverbal signs and I’ve noticed one prevalent behavior in several videos she’s been in since Cap Marvel: she does not fuck around and, when you compare her with MCU colleagues, some humility and grace is advised. Girl, you got lucky with that Oscar and no, you’re not Tom Cruise because nobody is (and whoever says he’s just ‘action junkie’ doesn’t understand the level of commitment we’re talking here). Basically, I’m saying she’s flying way too high these days and we all know what happened to Icarus.
Missed this. She didn’t get “lucky” for that Oscar. She gave a fantastic performance that was massively critically acclaimed. You tend to project your personal opinion on the consensus. The reality is most people feel it was deserved.

Larson was legit amazing in Room. I read the book the movie is based on and she gave the character a lot more depth and dimension. It's rather rare that an actor can improve that much on the source material but she did that thing.

Allstar wrote:
April 18th, 2019, 5:12 pm
m4st4 wrote:
April 18th, 2019, 4:03 am
PowerDump wrote:
April 18th, 2019, 3:47 am
Holy shit I just watched that full ET interview; no way in hell is she easy to work with lol. If you don’t see tension during it your aren’t looking. Brie comes off as someone who has a giant chip on her shoulder but no way was that just playful banter.
Of course, all of the ridiculous thumbnail YT videos saying Hems ‘HATES’ her are exactly that - ridiculous, but we’ve seen tons of playful interviews with the cast over the year and in this one you can just feel a) the immediacy in which Hems decides to poke at her because he knows exactly how she’ll react and b) her more than serious snap at him. It’s both verbal and nonverbal signs and I’ve noticed one prevalent behavior in several videos she’s been in since Cap Marvel: she does not fuck around and, when you compare her with MCU colleagues, some humility and grace is advised. Girl, you got lucky with that Oscar and no, you’re not Tom Cruise because nobody is (and whoever says he’s just ‘action junkie’ doesn’t understand the level of commitment we’re talking here). Basically, I’m saying she’s flying way too high these days and we all know what happened to Icarus.
Missed this. She didn’t get “lucky” for that Oscar. She gave a fantastic performance that was massively critically acclaimed. You tend to project your personal opinion on the consensus. The reality is most people feel it was deserved.
I tend to be my own person and not even think about the consensus. That same consensus rewarded Bohemian this year. So yeah, ‘most people’ means little in my book, I felt she was flat in that movie, people near and dear to me felt the same.

And regardless of what I think of her interviews NOW, I actually have nothing against her. Really liked her in Pilgrim, haven’t even seen Cap Marvel yet.

why are we discussing this? Who gives a damn who’s “bigger”. Tom Cruise definitely had a much bigger profile and has worked with a greater variety of top directors, but he sort of found himself doing some random cash grab projects. Probably declined some incredible work along the line, too. RDJ is also a great actor, he’s in a different position though. Let’s not forget the man, despite not being a “nobody”, did struggle to make a comeback, so Tom Cruise ofc had the leverage on that. But he did turn himself into a superstar. Staring in a Marvel movie in 2008, and 2019 are two completly different things. MCU movies being instant hits and earning billions are partly thanks to Iron Man, let’s be real. It’s not like the character had the insane level of popularity before the film. RDJ managed to work himself up to that position. It’d be very cool if post MCU he decided to turn to interesting projects.

Also, it’s utterly ridiculous to imply Larson won an Oscar on pure luck lol.

The majority voted for her, it is known.

I don’t know why though.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems that the Oscar for Best Actress and Best Actress in Supporting Role seems to go to young women more often than the Oscar for Best Actor and Best Actor in supporting role goes to young men. And tbh, I think the Oscar should've went to either Blanchett or Rampling but that's me. Larson is a fine actress any which way.

I understand what you’re saying m4 but the Bohemian comparison is not a good one imo. Critics did not really like that movie at all. Room was adored by critics. I tend to agree the Academy can often have bad taste, critics not so much in general.

Larson and Hemsworth unfollowed each other on Instagram. Lmao