Star Wars Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
^tbh i posted it not because i 100% agree with it but because i found it kind of funny since this was made in 2018

i think they either should have never brought rian johnson into this trilogy, if safety and familiarity is what they wanted, or give him episode ix too. this trilogy is random not because all these directors hated each other (or i hope they didn’t lol) and wanted to spite each other by “ruining” the predecessor’s work, but because disney desperately wanted this trilogy to happen, without knowing what they wanted out of it. but i’m preaching to the choir here. but you can’t just pick and choose the times you allow your artists (directors and writers) do whatever the fuck it seems like they want to do, and when to hold them by their balls (solo firing shitshow, anyone?). maybe this didn’t need an a to b to c plot laid out before shooting, but they did need a more grounded strategy of how to approach this trilogy and better means of communication between everyone.

also not listening to a super vocal fringe section of fans would have been ideal. in fact, never listen to any fans

I think what's very clear from this is, that Rian and JJ could have never collaborated with each other. They have such a starkly different perspectives, that they really have no business making sequels to each others' films, let alone doing one of these together.

Rian in general is a lone wolf. The guy is probably somewhat similar to how Jonah once described Chris as, a kind dictator.

Ruth wrote:
December 23rd, 2019, 4:55 pm
^tbh i posted it not because i 100% agree with it but because i found it kind of funny since this was made in 2018

i think they either should have never brought rian johnson into this trilogy, if safety and familiarity is what they wanted, or give him episode ix too. this trilogy is random not because all these directors hated each other (or i hope they didn’t lol) and wanted to spite each other by “ruining” the predecessor’s work, but because disney desperately wanted this trilogy to happen, without knowing what they wanted out of it. but i’m preaching to the choir here. but you can’t just pick and choose the times you allow your artists (directors and writers) do whatever the fuck it seems like they want to do, and when to hold them by their balls (solo firing shitshow, anyone?). maybe this didn’t need an a to b to c plot laid out before shooting, but they did need a more grounded strategy of how to approach this trilogy and better means of communication between everyone.

also not listening to a super vocal fringe section of fans would have been ideal. in fact, never listen to any fans
I get called crazy by anyone I say this too, but I genuinely don't know that LFL/JJ/Terrio "listened to fans" as much as people say, if for no other reason than:
if they were all about pleasing the fans, Ben and Rey would've had an "epic" and "badass" 2v1 battle against Palpatine. Instead, Rey defeats Palpatine through an act of defense, just like Luke on Crait. JJ and Terrio are clearly developing that important through-line into TROS, arguably TLJ's most radical and vital.

PS, I'm not sure fans were clamoring for Ben to become disillusioned and even patient / gentle with Rey while she becomes increasingly hostile and aggressive. In both of their lightsaber battles, Ben is defending himself against Rey. He's never the attacker.

@Virgo, Fischer called Rian a dictator too, lol. But I agree and I don't RE: JJ and RJ as collaborators. The weirdest thing about TROS is how it picks and chooses what to follow from TLJ. Sometimes it follows vital elements to their conclusion (as shown above) and other times (Luke's end in TLJ, Finn, Poe, Palpatine) it does not. Again,
Both Rey the Nobody and Rey Palpatine ultimately shed their painful heritage to forge a new identity. The how and why vary, but the destination is rather similar.

-Vader

I had a dream that the broom kid would come back in that film. In fact I wanted Rey and the resistance to come to Crait and the broom kid to ask "Have you come to free us?" and Rey to say "Hell, yeah!". It would have made a big link with the prequels, where the Republic doesn't care for the slaves outside the boundaries of the Republic, and in the end, it pushed Anakin to be convinced that the system needed to be changed, because on the contrary of other jedi, he wasn't part of the privileged of the galaxy.
I feel SW9 doesn't make enough of an effort to make us understand why
this time, the war is really won. Johnson made a big effort to make us understand why ROTJ's ending had to be challenged, concerning the jedi order. But TROS has a too ambiguous answer when it comes to the force side of things (How is Rey going to keep the balance? Is she going to train the next generation of jedi, and how will she avoid the mistakes that Luke and Yoda made?), and has no answer when it comes to the political side (how do you create a new republic, that doesn't have the flaws of the one of the prequel?).
Of course this has to do with the fact that the sequel trilogy doesn't care for politics. I think it could also have been interesting to introduce the politics through the characters of Finn and Poe. On the contrary of what JJ does, they are supposed to have understood at the end of TLJ what the right thing is (not heroism, not killing, but protecting). So the next challenge should have been: what is the right thing in a world so complex, as shown by Benicio del Toro, or the prequels, where the jedi don't fight against slavery but rather protect the established order to the benefit of the powerful. It could have been a nice way to bring back some politics through a character driven plot.

Law
idk I didn't hate it

I think Rian's perspective is the correct one to have, but the way he acted on it was not as elegant as it easily could have been.

It's like a bad game of improv.
JJ: There's a new bad guy in the galaxy...SUPREME LEADER SNOKE.
Rian: No there isn't.
JJ: Um...

Has there ever been a time where two directors with complete creative control have made a good series of movies?

had a good time watching this! and it was pretty great! the plot was jam packed in a scott pilgrim way but if you consider the core of SW to be "rey and friends running around bantering and doing emotional adventure things" this film is rarely lacking. a few too many ppl dying then coming back but hey