The Batman (2021)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
When TDKR was casting, she wasn't even 21 years old and basically an unknown besides being Lenny's daughter. It wouldn't make sense for her to be up for the major role of Catwoman then.

I think she was up for Juno Temple's role.

Artemis wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 8:47 pm
I think she was up for Juno Temple's role.
good call

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 8:34 pm
she wasn't talking about catwoman, it was a small role, and it was probably just TDKR casting people if they wouldn't even let her get to the audition phase.

still a super shitty thing to say

-Vader
It really makes no difference which role it was tbh. And Nolan is in charge of these people “directing” them what he wants. Also using that term why she isn’t right for the role makes zero sense since the movie is set in Gotham.

Whitewashing Bane wouldn’t fly today either tbh.

Allstar wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 9:02 pm
Vader182 wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 8:34 pm
she wasn't talking about catwoman, it was a small role, and it was probably just TDKR casting people if they wouldn't even let her get to the audition phase.

still a super shitty thing to say

-Vader
It really makes no difference which role it was tbh. And Nolan is in charge of these people “directing” them what he wants. Also using that term why she isn’t right for the role makes zero sense since the movie is set in Gotham.

Whitewashing Bane wouldn’t fly today either tbh.
idk if you try to willfully misunderstand what people post or what. i pointed out it wasn't for catwoman, not because it's "more okay" for that type of reprehensible comment for a smaller role (it isn't), but because The Discourse is making it sound like she got turned down for catwoman and now "got it," which is factually misleading. i would think what i meant is obvious..?

And of course Nolan is in charge of who he's casting, but I'm sure he probably wanted "classic hollywood" film noir-esque beauties for Catwoman and Juno Temple's part, and in that sense, Kravitz doesn't fit into that. Calling her "too urban" is a horrible comment, but making it sound as though nolan made it himself (also what The Discourse is doing) is also factually misleading.

the news cycle where we take one comment, strip it of all context, and misappropriate it to be the most outrageous interpretation is so fucking tiring

-Vader

Casting directors are the ones who watch auditions and such for most "featured" roles based off "sides" of the character in the script. They then bring top choices to the director for final say.

I never said Nolan made it himself but you’re making assumptions as much as anyone else and giving Nolan the benefit of the doubt because you love him. Nolan doesn’t have a great record on diversity at all hence why some aren’t giving him the benefit of the doubt. It’s wrong to make it out Nolan directly said it but I understand people holding him accountable for someone he hired in the casting department said such a thing about what he wants for the character.

Why does twitter/social media always take Nolan to task for diversity, which is overblown. But nobody every seems to say anything about Scorsese? Outside of Kundun, which nobody saw, has he ever made a movie were a major character wasn't white. What about the lack of diversity for Spielberg, Ridley Scott, Cameron, etc.

radewart wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 9:34 pm
Why does twitter/social media always take Nolan to task for diversity, which is overblown. But nobody every seems to say anything about Scorsese? Outside of Kundun, which nobody saw, has he ever made a movie were a major character wasn't white. What about the lack of diversity for Spielberg, Ridley Scott, Cameron, etc.
People have been saying stuff about Scorsese and Spielberg a lot. Scott was destroyed for Exodus. Nolan is clearly more mindful of it now hence JDW as lead.
Last edited by Allstar on October 14th, 2019, 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

he's a master filmmaker who's never made a less than great movie people have to complain about something