Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
mchekhov 2: Chek Harder wrote:well i'll be damned, a marvel movie that doesn't look completely generic!

the trailer was actually made me laugh, seems almost like a parody of the genre.
I didn't go 'hahaha' out loud or anything but it's a 'it's got potential' sort of thing.

My appreciation of the MCU was on it's lowest pit ever after Iron Man 2 and never really raised again. I feel their movies are too simple, too childlike and too "funny".
Then this was announced and I thought, well it's something else for a change. Whole new batch of characters and setting, this could be interesting. They take their time for the VFX, that's good.
Now with all the images, I was like: OMG Chris Pratt is so fucking hot, love him! The only other positive thing I had was that at least nothing looked really clean and sleek as they mostly want to do with sci-fis but that's about it.

Just now I watched the trailer… I didn't crack a smile once while it constantly tried to be funny. I know VFX work is not yet done but Raccoon and Groot look really bad so far, worse than I could've imagined. As for the rest, not impressed with anything and that "music", now that's cringeworthy.

I know I know people try to defend this and say "this is exactly what GotG should be like" yeah, in the damn comics. You can't take that directly form the page and put it on screen. It doesn't work. Now, as with all of MCU's latest films they only "work" because they do the minimal job of what should be done and that's why people accept it and even like it while it could be of so much higher quality.

So this trailer didn't won me over at all. I'll try to give it another go at the second trailer but I expect even less than before.

Nomis1700 wrote:My appreciation of the MCU was on it's lowest pit ever after Iron Man 2 and never really raised again. I feel their movies are too simple, too childlike and too "funny".
Then this was announced and I thought, well it's something else for a change. Whole new batch of characters and setting, this could be interesting. They take their time for the VFX, that's good.
Now with all the images, I was like: OMG Chris Pratt is so fucking hot, love him! The only other positive thing I had was that at least nothing looked really clean and sleek as they mostly want to do with sci-fis but that's about it.

Just now I watched the trailer… I didn't crack a smile once while it constantly tried to be funny. I know VFX work is not yet done but Raccoon and Groot look really bad so far, worse than I could've imagined. As for the rest, not impressed with anything and that "music", now that's cringeworthy.

I know I know people try to defend this and say "this is exactly what GotG should be like" yeah, in the damn comics. You can't take that directly form the page and put it on screen. It doesn't work. Now, as with all of MCU's latest films they only "work" because they do the minimal job of what should be done and that's why people accept it and even like it while it could be of so much higher quality.

So this trailer didn't won me over at all. I'll try to give it another go at the second trailer but I expect even less than before.
It was shot on the Alexa so it isn't worth watching anyway. ;)

Gunn said on Twitter it was shot on film.

Wow. How was this trailer bigger than MoS?

Bacon wrote:Wow. How was this trailer bigger than MoS?
Because Zack Snyder's name wasn't attached to it.

Also, Rocket and Groot look fine to me:

BlairCo wrote:
Yeah well at least the director's name was attached to it. No one knows who Gunn is.

Bacon wrote:
BlairCo wrote:
Yeah well at least the director's name was attached to it. No one knows who Gunn is.
I think people are more 'intrigued' by this film rather than 'excited'.