Help!

Christopher Nolan's 2008 mega success about Batman's attempts to defeat a criminal mastermind known only as the Joker.
Posts: 1610
Joined: April 2009
Location: Puerto Rico
I'm going to San Juan this Friday because my parents are going to some concert. We're staying at my uncle's house. Mom said that we might be able to go to Borders the next day and I've been DYING to buy The Dark Knight. Mom doesn't want me to buy it because is "intense". I've seen the movie and I didn't think it was that intense. I know that dad is on board but mom is actually the queen of the household so whatever she says goes. I mean I'm not a baby anymore, I'm almost 13 for crying out loud! I need to work on my puppy-dog face. But it ain't gonna do it by itself. I need a convincing speech to really have her on board. First of all I'm paying it with MY money. I've got half the speech already done but I need more to really have her on board with the idea. I need you guys to please help me. That movie is by far my favorite movie Nolan has ever done. I'm asking you as a friend :)

Posts: 1883
Joined: March 2009
Location: Leiden
You should listen to the people who take care of you...

Posts: 1610
Joined: April 2009
Location: Puerto Rico
Erik wrote:You should listen to the people who take care of you...
I know but trust me its not easy. My dad rents it. My mom tells me I'm gonna see it that one time. I see it. It was cool. I spend the next half year trying to convince mom and watching clips in youtube. It's ok the first few weeks but in a few time later you get a little nuts.

Site Admin
Posts: 1416
Joined: January 2009
Location: Cupertino, CA
I'm going to agree with Erik here. We are definitely not going to condone disobeying your parents. ;)
Although, if you are able to convince them that you're mature and old enough to buy and see the movie again, well, I'm not condoning that either! :D

Site Admin
Posts: 3812
Joined: January 2009
Location: Cupertino, CA
Yea, try to come up with a convincing argument of why you wish to see it again. Let them know the aspects of the story you enjoy are not related to the violence, but rather with the moral and ethical implications and questions the film presents to the viewer. (if that happens to be the truth ;) )

Posts: 1610
Joined: April 2009
Location: Puerto Rico
AlexHaas wrote:I'm going to agree with Erik here. We are definitely not going to condone disobeying your parents
I'm not talking about disobeying I'm talking to convince her that I've matured.

Site Admin
Posts: 1416
Joined: January 2009
Location: Cupertino, CA
dagn96 wrote:
AlexHaas wrote:I'm going to agree with Erik here. We are definitely not going to condone disobeying your parents
I'm not talking about disobeying I'm talking to convince her that I've matured.
Right. I was guessing that you weren't. You just sounded so passionate about trying to convince them (writing a speech and everything). I just wanted to make sure that this was said.

As Teddy mentioned, come up with a convincing argument of why you wish to see it again. I'm sure you'll be able to persuade them.

Posts: 13622
Joined: June 2009
Location: Florida
What's up with your parents? Man, they won't even allow you to buy a PG-13 film? I understand why they were timid about the R rated ones...but The Dark Knight? Jeez, you're not 6 anymore.

Posts: 1610
Joined: April 2009
Location: Puerto Rico
They do allow PG-13 movies. But my mother says that is "too intense and disturbing" I just watched it 2 times. One with my dad. And the other one was when I was in my aunt's house and they had the movie mom and dad went to the concert and I watched it. Just in case dad said it was okay. I try to explain her but she won't let me finish the first word once she knows what movie I'm talking about. She only watched the first part, but before I watched it people were telling her that that movie is intense, but that's coming from adults who aren't used to movies like TDK (no offense adults)

Posts: 13622
Joined: June 2009
Location: Florida
dagn96 wrote:They do allow PG-13 movies. But my mother says that is "too intense and disturbing" I just watched it 2 times. One with my dad. And the other one was when I was in my aunt's house and they had the movie mom and dad went to the concert and I watched it. Just in case dad said it was okay. I try to explain her but she won't let me finish the first word once she knows what movie I'm talking about. She only watched the first part, but before I watched it people were telling her that that movie is intense, but that's coming from adults who aren't used to movies like TDK (no offense adults)
Yea, my parents are complete opposites. They allow me to watch rated R movies without question. I never really had to deal with convincing my mom or dad if I could watch/buy something so I dunno what to tell you.

Post Reply