Recommend-Me-A-Movie-Topic

All non-Nolan related entertainment discussion. Join the fun!
I have been really curious about his pre-Rififi film noirs he made in America.

spade wrote:
February 13th, 2019, 5:55 pm
I have been really curious about his pre-Rififi film noirs he made in America.
Naked City is a game-changer of the more realistic noir, not unlike the procedural noir by Kazan, Boomerang

Kazan's Panic in the Streets, made roughly around the same time, was also terrific, and occupies a unique position in medical thriller sub-genre.

Agreed. The Fox guys really pushed the form brilliantly, Preminger included. Mankiewicz meanwhile ported the femme fatale over to women's dramedy which was similarly ingenious. Zanuck had such an amazing team there in the 40s, maybe the best lineup of studio directors ever, all of whom would go onto greater heights.

I watched A Letter to Three Wives few months ago and it had the same impact on me which All About Eve had years ago.

And yeah Zanuck had an incredible track record.

A Letter to Three Wives is an astonishingly underrated film by everyone except AMPAS.

Which version of Once Upon a Time in America should I watch?

I have seen the 229 minute version and it works like a charm. There are very very few scenes where you are able to make out that something is missing. I actually just remember one such scene.
In the 251 minute version I think you can clearly make out the extra footage as it is taken from different film element, so that can prove distracting to some in a way. But I'm not sure how much it adds to the overall quality of the film.
Personally I'm so fond of the 229 minute version, that I might not watch any other version ever.
Obviously don't watch the 139 minute version.

aight thanks

So, I might be able to catch a 4K screening of Maurice. I still pity the fact that I missed that theaters 4K screening of Howard's End (and I still haven't seen that film) and as of yet I can't find a proper torrent of Maurice, either. Has anybody seen it?