88th Academy Awards

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Posts: 1957
Joined: August 2012
:facepalm: :lol:

Posts: 8068
Joined: October 2012
Location: Gran Pulse
MARVEL wrote:Paul Rudd as Scott Lang though :clap:
:lol:

not that anyone really considers the oscars legit at this point, but...
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences is the world's preeminent movie related organization, comprised of 7000+ accomplished men and women working in cinema.
the idea that people working in the film industry somehow have a more informed opinion on films than the common man is just silly. understanding how a film is actually produced has nothing to do with film analysis (in the same way that roger ebert wouldn't know how to make a movie)
if you're an actor that means you know how to play a character, if you're a gaffer that means you know how to light things, nothing more than that.
you're a technician who's working in an industry that happens to produce films
Last edited by Disney+'s solo2001 on January 23rd, 2015, 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posts: 26209
Joined: February 2010
Location: Texas
mchekhov 2: Chek Harder wrote:not that anyone really considers the oscars legit at this point, but...
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences is the world's preeminent movie related organization, comprised of 7000+ accomplished men and women working in cinema.
the idea that people working in the film industry somehow have a more informed opinion on films than the common man is just silly. understanding how a film is actually produced has nothing to do with film analysis (in the same way that roger ebert wouldn't know how to make a movie)
if you're an actor that means you know how to play a character, if you're a gaffer that means you know how to light things, nothing more than that.
you're a technician who's working in an industry that happens to produce films
I feel like you'll be hammered for this comment, but it's true and I agree.

Posts: 13532
Joined: May 2010
Location: Mumbai
Cilogy wrote: I feel like you'll be hammered for this comment, but it's true and I agree.
I don't think so. IMO, praise from a few key figures in Hollywood (PTA, Tarantino, Cameron) outweighs snub from the academy.

Posts: 54481
Joined: May 2010
Location: Arrakis
Cilogy wrote:
mchekhov 2: Chek Harder wrote:not that anyone really considers the oscars legit at this point, but...
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences is the world's preeminent movie related organization, comprised of 7000+ accomplished men and women working in cinema.
the idea that people working in the film industry somehow have a more informed opinion on films than the common man is just silly. understanding how a film is actually produced has nothing to do with film analysis (in the same way that roger ebert wouldn't know how to make a movie)
if you're an actor that means you know how to play a character, if you're a gaffer that means you know how to light things, nothing more than that.
you're a technician who's working in an industry that happens to produce films
I feel like you'll be hammered for this comment, but it's true and I agree.
Why would he be hammered for telling the truth? I agree.

Posts: 4249
Joined: January 2012
We might as well jump a year ahead at this point, not that these awards matter at any point though.

Posts: 9820
Joined: October 2011
Location: Foot of Mt. Belzoni
mchekhov 2: Chek Harder wrote:not that anyone really considers the oscars legit at this point, but...
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences is the world's preeminent movie related organization, comprised of 7000+ accomplished men and women working in cinema.
the idea that people working in the film industry somehow have a more informed opinion on films than the common man is just silly. understanding how a film is actually produced has nothing to do with film analysis (in the same way that roger ebert wouldn't know how to make a movie)
if you're an actor that means you know how to play a character, if you're a gaffer that means you know how to light things, nothing more than that.
you're a technician who's working in an industry that happens to produce films
But I don't think the point is that they have the ultimate opinion, it's that it is the industry or a selection of the industry providing the award.

but of course the oscars have the most influence and are held in a higher regard than any other mewbie award by the general public

Posts: 26209
Joined: February 2010
Location: Texas
m4st4 wrote:Why would he be hammered for telling the truth? I agree.
Because I recall us having a debate here a while ago where some folks essentially claimed that level of experience or involvement in the industry dictates authority on film opinion.

Meanwhile I'm of the belief that if you've just seen one film your entire life, you're just as informed as you need to be.

Post Reply