Joker (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Interesting thing about Joker/Polanski winning top awards is the jury is headlined by Lucrecia Martel, a director who films are typically centered on issues of feminism.

That caught my eye. And Mary Harron was on the panel as well.

I wanted to do the Django Unchained cliché of saying "You had my curiosity, now you have my attention", but these news of Joker winning a prestigious European(!) award deserve more. I was one of the more adamant sceptics in regards to this film, and this is quite shocking to me. As someone whose late teens and early 20s were defined by The Dark Knight and its portrayal of the Joker, and it's also what kind of made me into a true NolanFan, it was always difficult to accept that people now want to see a new backstory for the Joker... I always thought it completely undoes what TDK has achieved in terms of villain portrayal, world building, etc. But I have to say, the way critics are raving about Joker is really something I never expected. So... yeah, I am definitely interested to see what they have done to receive praise of this magnitude.

personally, i was never overly excited for this movie (in an utterly shocking turn of events, i will be seeing it in theaters though!!), but most of my scepticism was directed at the already there (and the future would be) fanbase of this film. no matter how many times you'll say the meme jokes are exhausting (which I actually agree with), people mistaking this film for something entirely else and misappropriating its ideas to further their own toxic shitty views is just as fucking annoying. and while, yes, we haven't seen the film (something that has been acknowledged by multiple people even on here), the marketing, the past history of dc fans idolizing joker for all the wrong reasons, the timing, def gave all of this an unfortunate vibe

at the end of the day though, it's not the film's fault. it's neither phoenix nor phillips' fault either, unless they were like, to come out and say that yes, we do subscribe to the ~oppressed white incel~ ideology lol. the movie doesn't deserve to be grilled by people, the shitty side of the fanbase does. i thought that much should have been clear from the very start. although i can only speak for myself

There was a tweet that showed shock at Joker, Roman Polanski, and Nate Parker all winning awards at the festival. The responses were kind of unsettling. One response went along the lines of "why are you putting joker in the same sentence as rapists?" And um sweetie...you might want to rethink that.

At some point Trumpican incels claimed this film as their own and leftists accepted that as such, and this is somehow being seen as a victory for the other side.

Odd post Trump era stuff.

Yeah I've been seeing the worst posts from the DC fandom on Twitter and they are using language and syntax similar to Trumpians.

Artemis wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 6:14 am
Yeah I've been seeing the worst posts from the DC fandom on Twitter and they are using language and syntax similar to Trumpians.
Surely, you must have better things to do than to hijack this thread once again.

Nobody wants to hear about what you saw on Twitter etc.

MyCocaine wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 7:01 am
Artemis wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 6:14 am
Surely, you must have better things to do than to hijack this thread once again.

Nobody wants to hear about what you saw on Twitter etc.
Okay mom but man this is rich coming from someone that a lot of people on this site don't really like lol. I had no idea you suddenly spoke for everyone.

Artemis wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 6:08 am
There was a tweet that showed shock at Joker, Roman Polanski, and Nate Parker all winning awards at the festival. The responses were kind of unsettling. One response went along the lines of "why are you putting joker in the same sentence as rapists?" And um sweetie...you might want to rethink that.
Tbh I don’t think it’s productive to put Joker in the same sentence. As horrible of a character he may be, at the end of the day, he’s a fictional character, unlike the other two. Awarding the movie is not celebrating it the same way as is awarding... well the other two.

I think ultimately at least a part of the discussion should be rerouted towards asking how much of responsibility can art bear for possibly inspiring certain people to do certain stuff. Are violent video games responsible for causing violence among youths? Can a song make you kill? Joker hasn’t even “done” that yet, it might never do anything like that. But I think it’s once again a worthy debate to have.