Would you agree now is the perfect time for Sam Mendes to announce his next espionage film?

An original action espionage film releasing in IMAX on July 17, 2020.
Posts: 7769
Joined: August 2012
you guys are so unfriendly i’ll never post in this sub again.

Posts: 19674
Joined: June 2012
stop being so dramatic lol

also yes

mendes wants to marry nolan

it is known

Posts: 78
Joined: November 2019
Ruth wrote:
December 2nd, 2019, 6:08 pm
you guys are so unfriendly i’ll never post in this sub again.
I don't think this would be the perfect time. Some people already think that he's following Nolan footsteps so that would only add more fire to everything. Besides, he already made Skyfall so there's no need. He should try different things at this point.

Posts: 7769
Joined: August 2012
Nomis wrote:
December 2nd, 2019, 6:10 pm
stop being so dramatic lol

also yes

mendes wants to marry nolan

it is known
rude

Posts: 19674
Joined: June 2012
Image

Posts: 228
Joined: November 2018
Just you watch Mendes make a Documentary about Nolan in a few years.

Posts: 515
Joined: July 2018
Right before he kills Nolan and wears his face as a mask.

Posts: 78
Joined: November 2019
A Borges man wrote:
December 2nd, 2019, 5:40 pm
Paradoxicalparabola wrote:
December 2nd, 2019, 5:21 pm
A Borges man wrote:
December 2nd, 2019, 4:05 pm
Well, he might have to wait till Joe Wright also decides on making one; he better hurry if he wants to release it in 2020, Oscar season.
.
.
.
Mendes is such a funny case, he is not an auteur; and his filmography is being curdled by history (lookin' at you American beauty). He is a very scattershot filmmaker; I have no idea what a Sam Mendes movie is...his Bond movies and 1917 are clearly "influenced by Nolan". But, I mean, look at Away We Go and Revolutionary Road, movies that don't really have an identity. The clearest identity his films have is whether Deakins lenses them.
I'm curious. What is the problem with Sam Mendes? I like his movies and he's influenced by Nolan then that's good. I see identity in his movies even though some share a similar atmosphere to those of Nolan.
I don't actually have that much of a problem with Mendes, I like Road to Perdition a lot, and Skyfall has some great moments. I loathe what he did with Revolutionary Road, actively mad, that book is great and he makes some really decisions that just don't work for me.

To be specific: an Auteur is a filmmaker working within the studio system, but, despite that, their body of work is tied together with thematic concerns, filmmaking style, their work is instantly recognizable because of these.

This is not even saying Auteurism is a positive thing. Michael Bay is definitely one.

The reason it's so easy to see Nolan's influence in Mendes' films is because instead having thematic concerns, and style trade marks that are identifiable as a Mendes film, Nolan's influence becomes overriding. I mean, I don't think Mendes has written any of his own movies; he is a Journey-man, which isn't really a qualitative judgement, there are great directors in that camp (James Mangold, Curtis Hanson, Ron Howard....etc).

Look at Inception: the internet's pet theory is that it is a rip-off of Paprika, but I've also come across people who say it's a rip-off of Last Year at Marienbad, and Dick's Ubik...this is funny, because he can't be ripping-off three things at once. My personal feeling on the matter is that Inception is pure Nolan, all of his thematic concerns are there, as is style. (Also see, World on a Wire, which never gets cited, but has more in common with Inception that the three listed above)

With the Nolan inflected Mendes movies, all I see is Nolan's thematic and style being ported over. No filmmaker is 100% original, but I can point at any Nolan film and see countless influences, from diverse artist being blended in.
I understand your position on the matter. I think he has his own style and like I said, there are noticeable influences from Nolan but it's better in a way that he's learning from such director than from Michael bay which would make his movies, well... you know haha. And I'm sure Skyfall wouldn't have turned out the way it did if his vision hadn't come through for the most part. He's not an auteur like Nolan, yes, cause he hasn't written most of his films but his director's vision was still there if you ask me.

As for Inception, some people say that the film is a rip-off of Paprika (like you say they have) but also of Scrooge McDuck: The Dream of a Lifetime. It does share some similarities with Paprika like the elevator but some of the other comparisons are taken way out of context and Inception's plot is very different since it tackles other things. Also, Nolan pitched the idea for Inception to WB in 2001 so couldn't have copied the anime movie (I don't know if he was influenced by the novel but he said he had never heard of Paprika) nor Dream of a Lifetime since that comic was released in 2002. Add to that the fact that Nolan wanted to explore dreams since he was 15 I think. If somebody thought of a certain idea then the same can happen in another part of the world and sometimes it does at the same time. Some people just don't like when something becomes popular so they are predisposed into thinking it's "overrated" or they hurry up to say that everything is a rip-off.

Posts: 20
Joined: November 2019
Paradoxicalparabola wrote:
December 2nd, 2019, 6:44 pm
A Borges man wrote:
December 2nd, 2019, 5:40 pm
Paradoxicalparabola wrote:
December 2nd, 2019, 5:21 pm


I'm curious. What is the problem with Sam Mendes? I like his movies and he's influenced by Nolan then that's good. I see identity in his movies even though some share a similar atmosphere to those of Nolan.
I don't actually have that much of a problem with Mendes, I like Road to Perdition a lot, and Skyfall has some great moments. I loathe what he did with Revolutionary Road, actively mad, that book is great and he makes some really decisions that just don't work for me.

To be specific: an Auteur is a filmmaker working within the studio system, but, despite that, their body of work is tied together with thematic concerns, filmmaking style, their work is instantly recognizable because of these.

This is not even saying Auteurism is a positive thing. Michael Bay is definitely one.

The reason it's so easy to see Nolan's influence in Mendes' films is because instead having thematic concerns, and style trade marks that are identifiable as a Mendes film, Nolan's influence becomes overriding. I mean, I don't think Mendes has written any of his own movies; he is a Journey-man, which isn't really a qualitative judgement, there are great directors in that camp (James Mangold, Curtis Hanson, Ron Howard....etc).

Look at Inception: the internet's pet theory is that it is a rip-off of Paprika, but I've also come across people who say it's a rip-off of Last Year at Marienbad, and Dick's Ubik...this is funny, because he can't be ripping-off three things at once. My personal feeling on the matter is that Inception is pure Nolan, all of his thematic concerns are there, as is style. (Also see, World on a Wire, which never gets cited, but has more in common with Inception that the three listed above)

With the Nolan inflected Mendes movies, all I see is Nolan's thematic and style being ported over. No filmmaker is 100% original, but I can point at any Nolan film and see countless influences, from diverse artist being blended in.
I understand your position on the matter. I think he has his own style and like I said, there are noticeable influences from Nolan but it's better in a way that he's learning from such director than from Michael bay which would make his movies, well... you know haha. And I'm sure Skyfall wouldn't have turned out the way it did if his vision hadn't come through for the most part. He's not an auteur like Nolan, yes, cause he hasn't written most of his films but his director's vision was still there if you ask me.

As for Inception, some people say that the film is a rip-off of Paprika (like you say they have) but also of Scrooge McDuck: The Dream of a Lifetime. It does share some similarities with Paprika like the elevator but some of the other comparisons are taken way out of context and Inception's plot is very different since it tackles other things. Also, Nolan pitched the idea for Inception to WB in 2001 so couldn't have copied the anime movie (I don't know if he was influenced by the novel but he said he had never heard of Paprika) nor Dream of a Lifetime since that comic was released in 2002. Add to that the fact that Nolan wanted to explore dreams since he was 15 I think. If somebody thought of a certain idea then the same can happen in another part of the world and sometimes it does at the same time. Some people just don't like when something becomes popular so they are predisposed into thinking it's "overrated" or they hurry up to say that everything is a rip-off.
Both Kon and Nolan where just ripping off Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors ;)
.

My post was pretty pedantic, not a thing I like, but something I'll indulge in.

I mean the tread is good for the jokes, it needs to be said that even in a year without a Nolan movie, his name still gets drop whether it's Joker, Ad Astra or 1917...this is a testament to his influence and his opening of doors. He doesn't need to make a movie to still be in the conversation.
Last edited by Nomis on December 3rd, 2019, 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: stop quoting walls of text, use spoiler tags instead

Posts: 78
Joined: November 2019
A Borges man wrote:
December 2nd, 2019, 7:04 pm
Paradoxicalparabola wrote:
December 2nd, 2019, 6:44 pm
A Borges man wrote:
December 2nd, 2019, 5:40 pm


I don't actually have that much of a problem with Mendes, I like Road to Perdition a lot, and Skyfall has some great moments. I loathe what he did with Revolutionary Road, actively mad, that book is great and he makes some really decisions that just don't work for me.

To be specific: an Auteur is a filmmaker working within the studio system, but, despite that, their body of work is tied together with thematic concerns, filmmaking style, their work is instantly recognizable because of these.

This is not even saying Auteurism is a positive thing. Michael Bay is definitely one.

The reason it's so easy to see Nolan's influence in Mendes' films is because instead having thematic concerns, and style trade marks that are identifiable as a Mendes film, Nolan's influence becomes overriding. I mean, I don't think Mendes has written any of his own movies; he is a Journey-man, which isn't really a qualitative judgement, there are great directors in that camp (James Mangold, Curtis Hanson, Ron Howard....etc).

Look at Inception: the internet's pet theory is that it is a rip-off of Paprika, but I've also come across people who say it's a rip-off of Last Year at Marienbad, and Dick's Ubik...this is funny, because he can't be ripping-off three things at once. My personal feeling on the matter is that Inception is pure Nolan, all of his thematic concerns are there, as is style. (Also see, World on a Wire, which never gets cited, but has more in common with Inception that the three listed above)

With the Nolan inflected Mendes movies, all I see is Nolan's thematic and style being ported over. No filmmaker is 100% original, but I can point at any Nolan film and see countless influences, from diverse artist being blended in.
I understand your position on the matter. I think he has his own style and like I said, there are noticeable influences from Nolan but it's better in a way that he's learning from such director than from Michael bay which would make his movies, well... you know haha. And I'm sure Skyfall wouldn't have turned out the way it did if his vision hadn't come through for the most part. He's not an auteur like Nolan, yes, cause he hasn't written most of his films but his director's vision was still there if you ask me.

As for Inception, some people say that the film is a rip-off of Paprika (like you say they have) but also of Scrooge McDuck: The Dream of a Lifetime. It does share some similarities with Paprika like the elevator but some of the other comparisons are taken way out of context and Inception's plot is very different since it tackles other things. Also, Nolan pitched the idea for Inception to WB in 2001 so couldn't have copied the anime movie (I don't know if he was influenced by the novel but he said he had never heard of Paprika) nor Dream of a Lifetime since that comic was released in 2002. Add to that the fact that Nolan wanted to explore dreams since he was 15 I think. If somebody thought of a certain idea then the same can happen in another part of the world and sometimes it does at the same time. Some people just don't like when something becomes popular so they are predisposed into thinking it's "overrated" or they hurry up to say that everything is a rip-off.
Both Kon and Nolan where just ripping off Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors ;)
.

My post was pretty pedantic, not a thing I like, but something I'll indulge in.

I mean the tread is good for the jokes, it needs to be said that even in a year without a Nolan movie, his name still gets drop whether it's Joker, Ad Astra or 1917...this is a testament to his influence and his opening of doors. He doesn't need to make a movie to still be in the conversation.
Haha I’m surprised that more people haven’t said that they were rip-offs of dream warriors at this point now that you mention it.

Indeed it is a true testament to his influence. Even though some people think he’s “overrated” but the guy has been praised by the likes of Scorsese and that is quite something. Each to their own I guess.
Last edited by Nomis on December 3rd, 2019, 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: same reason as above

Locked