Ludwig Göransson will compose Tenet

An original action espionage film releasing in IMAX on July 17, 2020.
If you didn't know David Julyan's work on Nolan's films, would you honestly feel he was a good choice for a Christopher Nolan flick?

David Julyan scores created a creepy, eerie atmosphere that was perfect for early Nolan-films with their noir-y, thrillery approach. Then Zimmer opened up the possibilities for bombastic scores - the perfect choice for bombastic movies.

Now, we can be sure that Tenet (the first time I write this down, I'm so happy!) will be bombastic, but we have zero idea what sort of atmosphere, what sort of general feel the movie will deliver. Nowadays you couldn't imagine Nolan going back to Julyan, still, that sort of atmosphere he and Nolan created for his early films is just as organic to Nolan's filmography as Zimmer.

And I think, but I might be wrong, that Zimmer himself was re-defined by Nolan and his movies - like, when we only knew Memento and Insomnia, would you have guessed that the guy who made that cheesy bombastic music for The Pirates of the Caribbean was the perfect choice for this indie noir director's next film?

There are several things to consider in this scenario, and even if you don't find Göransson's work as memorable and appealing as Zimmer's, you should remember that most of what you admire about Nolan and Zimmer, and all of their work, are the result of collaborations. I think Nolan has a clear idea what sort of music he'd like for his films, and the same goes for Tenet (twice now!!).

Collector03601 wrote:
May 23rd, 2019, 7:04 am
Zimmer and Nolan collabo was one of the best I have heard. Definitely a bit sad because Zimmer is just perfect for Nolan films, but I completely trust Nolan chosing the right composer for the job. I did enjoy his early work with David Julyan, it was different, but I still enjoy going back to those, especially The Prestige.

The only Goransson score I wanted to give a listen after walking out of theater was Venom, but I didnt like it that much. None of his were memorable for me, thats what worries me the most, but I trust Nolan will bring the max out of him.
Trust but verify. I can't seem to verify. Anywhere. They better make us all believers.

I knew it was never gonna happen, but I kinda wanted John Carpenter after hearing his Halloween 2018 contributions. Not impressed by anything this guy's made. Then again Zimmer's made his fair share of schlock too like Mission Impossible 2.

But “Injection” from M:I2 is one of his best compositions though!

i'm hoping the Goransson score is more "Everything, Everything" and less everything else he's done.

Nolan's movies were defined by the score, it was basically half of all the movies he's done and separating from Zimmer is a bit scary to me. But hey he knows his stuff, so hopefully he will inspire Ludwig to make this movie justice.

Mulholland-Jr wrote:
May 23rd, 2019, 7:14 pm
Then again Zimmer's made his fair share of schlock too like Mission Impossible 2.
how dare you

The more I think of this, I more I realize how random this choice was. His work seems so unlike Julyan and Zimmer which makes me sort a nervous/excited about how possibly different this film is going to feel.

Cilogy wrote:
May 25th, 2019, 1:19 pm
The more I think of this, I more I realize how random this choice was. His work seems so unlike Julyan and Zimmer which makes me sort a nervous/excited about how possibly different this film is going to feel.
Ludwig is an insanely talented producer as well. If I had to guess, Zimmer probably recommended using Ludwig to Nolan, and Nolan's almost definitely already met with him to come up with musical concepts. Considering the amount he's had to stretch himself with his collaboration with Glover, I'm sure Nolan can shape him to do whatever he wants him to do.

It can go in any direction, which is very exciting. Zimmer's scores were amazing, but I'd argue the only score that really, truly broke Zimmer's usual style was Interstellar. But Ludwig is practically a chameleon when it comes to writing styles. The question is how memorable his score will be, because imo his film scores have been rather forgettable even if they match the films they're in very well.