Blade Runner 2049 (2017)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
LelekPL wrote:
Sanchez wrote:Just got back from my 2nd viewing.

Regarding the plot twist (that people here say isn't one)
It's definitely a plot twist that she is the child and not him. We are watching the story unfold from K's perspective, and halfway through he is 100% certain it's him. I could only find two vague hints that suggested otherwise before he was told the truth from the underground cult guys:

1. In the scene with the computer screen where K finds out there were two children with identical DNA and the the girl was supposedly dead. It's obvious that someone faked one of the two reports since the DNA is identical, so in retrospect reading that the girl is dead and the boy is alive is just an obvious decoy (or just another part of the puzzle). But you can't say that that one moment is the nail in the coffin for the audience, and that everyone from that point should know for a fact that K isn't the child. It's a hint yes, but not that obvious the first time.

2. In the scene with K and Dr. Stelline where she says something like "Every memory has a piece of it's artist". In my opinion, this one is super vague the first time you hear it, and super obvious the second time. If you picked up on both the first part about the fake report as well as this one vague sentence from a pretty alterative and dreamy person you know nothing about, then maybe you could have concluded with her being the child.

But saying that it's not a deliberate plot twist and that D-Ville planned for everyone to catch up on that the first time they watch the movie, I think is just stupid. But well done to you for getting it the first time.
Both your points 1 and 2 are SUPER obvious the first time:
1. If K was the child why would there even be a subplot of a "girl"? The girl is mentioned because it's clearly not K
2. That scene is the director basically telling the audience - HEY, MEMBA THE GIRL? THAT'S HER! IT'S HER MEMORY!
I didn't even have to think twice about it you just add one and two together and it's super clear.

Either it's a very obvious and badly telegraphed twist or it's not.

Now, the first scenario doesn't really damage the movie that much, since it still works as a twist for K (even though the audience should be waaay ahead of him) and the story is ultimately about K learning of his humanity, not that he's not the child. I never really thought about the story of the film to be "Who's Deckard's child?" (maybe because it was so obvious) but rather of K learning what it means to be human. So the movie still works.

But if we're judging just the twist as targeted at the audience... it's a bad one, to the point that I'm in no way boasting that I got it the first time but rather being insulted at the thought of it being a twist.
I didn't say it was a great twist, but I'm certain it was meant to be one. Again, Deckard is the eyes of the audience here, and I think you overestimate the audience. That scene in front of the computer easily works just as a "there is something fishy going on with this woman's child"-scene, and I'm sure most people doesn't get anything more than that out of it.

And sure, I'll say twist and not plot twist since I agree that the theme of the movie is bigger than K's destiny. But then again, his adventure is our adventure, and he cares more about his own past than the future of the replicant race.

I think it acts more as a twist for K's arc than the audience (though it does work for an audience, or at least most of the people I saw it with).

@Sanchez: And yeah, her knowing who she is and why he's there also adds to the final shot as well. She's waited years for that moment. Deckard has too.

Location: [insert non-spoilery location here, that wasn't a spoiler to begin with]
antovolk wrote:
HOLY FUCK

antovolk wrote:
This movie is so good.

Oku
antovolk wrote:
That is great; did you make it?

No, official

Oku
No, you made it.

okungnyo wrote:No, you made it.
dafuq are you talking about, I didn't. It's an official TV spot