AMC‘s Breaking Bad

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Vader182 wrote:
Cilogy wrote: Well first of all we're not as smart in foresight as you, so that could be part of it.

Second,
I just thought Walter would get away with it and he'd be careful enough to wipe away all clues. Guess not.
Well, that's sort of the point. No matter how much you think you can control, it's outside of the grasp of anyone to control everything. Aside of that, that's the sort of thing that's happened in this show a thousand times. Small, little 'coincidences' in a way are what unspools all of what came before.
-Vader
Yeah I like how they showed him meticulously hiding his ricin earlier, but then something as harmless as a book in his bathroom gives him away.

nolannolanchrischris wrote:
Vader182 wrote:
Well, that's sort of the point. No matter how much you think you can control, it's outside of the grasp of anyone to control everything. Aside of that, that's the sort of thing that's happened in this show a thousand times. Small, little 'coincidences' in a way are what unspools all of what came before.
-Vader
Yeah I like how they showed him meticulously hiding his ricin earlier, but then something as harmless as a book in his bathroom gives him away.
"You got me."

UltraDangerLord wrote:
"You got me."
That flashback was brilliant.

Don't know if anyone already spotted this but...
The painting in the hotel room was, I believe, the same as the one in the doctor's office, first season. Walt's cancer might be back.
:o :shock:

Dodd wrote:Don't know if anyone already spotted this but...
The painting in the hotel room was, I believe, the same as the one in the doctor's office, first season. Walt's cancer might be back.
:clap:

Yeah I spotted that, but in an episode jam-packed of references to past seasons, I don't necessarily think it signifies that. The random doctor's visit could though.
-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
Yeah I spotted that, but in an episode jam-packed of references to past seasons, I don't necessarily think it signifies that. The random doctor's visit could though.
-Vader
Your so right. Their was so much to digest in that episode. Its almost not fair we need to wait so long to see what happens next. But good things come to those who wait. All we can do now is speculate. :neutral:

Dodd wrote:
Vader182 wrote:
-Vader
Your so right. Their was so much to digest in that episode. Its almost not fair we need to wait so long to see what happens next. But good things come to those who wait. All we can do now is speculate. :neutral:
Indeed, yeah. Thing is, I thought it was the best episode of the season so far by quite a large margin, totally masterful episode, but I'm apparently somewhat in the minority.

-Vader

:suicide: Why do we have to wait!?!?!!? :cry:

Here's my full write up of my thoughts on Breaking Bad if anyone would care to read:
While predicting Hank figuring out who Walt is at the end of 8.1 is something you know I did long before it started, I can't say most of the episode fell close to being within the boundaries of predicability or lacking in surprises. The episode opens with Walt at his most heinous, mobsterly driven, and kindpin-esque, executing a plan referential to Godfather by way of neo-nazis, then Walt suddenly became an international drug kingpin ...in a montage. That alone is an audacious and unexpected choice given the show often taking its time in building up these sorts of things, especially this season. He accomplishes everything he set out to do, with subtle moments throughout indicating a nagging loneliness and lack of fulfillment, perhaps because so much over the course of the episode reminded Walt, just like it did us, of the crazy and often devastating experiences over the last 5 seasons. The fly (an episode focusing on the first time he let someone die/killed someone), the painting from season 1, the dented hand dryer, Gale. But just like that, three months go by and in another series-defining moment, Walt willingly totally gets out of the drug trade. Out of earnestness and love that we had every reason to think barely was there at all, especially given how one note Walt's been this whole season.

Other scenes crossed subtle lines the show hasn't before- until now everyone within the 'drug' world hasn't viewed Walt with any particular animosity or fear outside of how they would to anyone in those situations. Here, Jesse breaks down after standing in a room with Walter White for just a few minutes, prepared to blast him away if need demands it. We haven't ever seen that before. Things felt deliberate again, artistically driven, perfectly understated and everything could breathe. And finally, the man who, so certain those dead can never harm him, that which is within his grasp is entirely under his control, was his undoing. The dead returned, and no man can control -everything-, and that too is a bold choice. This episode had little in the way of "obvious" moments like most of the season, it was a collage of subtle moments building to a reflection of what was before to now and bringing it full circle with a sympathetic Walt experiencing a happy life with his family.

Nothing but bold choices in nearly every regard, from the understated quality of the episode to the fact this episode featured more powerful, resonant moments than most of the season's episodes combined. Masterful television.
-Vader