Godzilla (2014)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
the_red_ninja wrote:Just saw this. Thank goodness Godzilla was actually in the film yo. The human element was very much lacking and in disaster/monster films I need humanity to step up.
If the narrative had just stuck with Watanabe's character, who was somewhat obsessed with Godzilla, I think it would have been the same film. This film has over 15 years to work with, but there was no real characters to care about; Godzilla had more emotion than AJT.
Set pieces are on point. Godzilla was sooo beautiful. I literally squealed whenever it was on screen.
same goes for the mutos.
I bet the dialogue between the mutos and godzilla would make for a much more entertaining cut of the film - they should include that in the bluray extras yo.
Godzilla going super saiyan - did not see that coming yo :thumbup:
FYI: Pacific Rim>Godzilla
Good point about Watanabe. I think a Watanabe only movie would've been better. Or a Watanabe-Cranston combo searching for Godzilla.

Also I liked a scene with Watanabe which would of been nice to emphasise into his whole presence in the movie
The watch scene, when he shows it to the General and explains what it meant
I guess if I will watch now Pacific Rim and Godzilla back to back, I'll like PAcific more.

*Transformers raises its hand*

No, go back to your corner.

Nice finishing line! :D :thumbup:

Yeah I prefer Pacific Rim as well, but liked both.

Went to see it today.
I am usually the guy that still finds enjoyment in bad movies. I recall seeing the latest Die Hard in cinema and still being entertained (although, I will definately not say it's a good film). The new Godzilla however, is in my opinion one of the worst films I've seen in a long time. I read a critic review that gave it a 2/5. I couldn't believe that rating, but I can now.

93.5 million. 8-)

Erik wrote:Went to see it today.
I am usually the guy that still finds enjoyment in bad movies. I recall seeing the latest Die Hard in cinema and still being entertained (although, I will definately not say it's a good film). The new Godzilla however, is in my opinion one of the worst films I've seen in a long time. I read a critic review that gave it a 2/5. I couldn't believe that rating, but I can now.
Im not sure if i can understand where you're coming from. Saying it's a bad movie feels weird to me considering it was visually stunning, the monster fights were incredibly fun and at least we had Cranston doing some good acting. A mediocre rating is perfectly understandable but saying that you enjoyed the last Die Hard but thought Godzilla was one of the worst films you've seen. Hmmm. You at least must see some pretty good movies most of the time.

My dad said to me afterwards that Cranston died because he was getting sick of his over-reacting.

Finally have seen the movie. I really liked. Well written and directed. Btw, Elizabeth Olsen looks gorgeous.

I love Cranston to death, and he was great in this, but yes i felt like he was overacting in one or two moments. Which comes back to what i keep saying. Things like this would work perfectly and not stick out if the rest of the cast were acting with as much emotion when crazy shit is happening to millions of families including their own.

So it comes down to "Is Cranston overacting?" Or is he doing the truthful thing for the scene he's in, yet it's the others that are not giving it their all when such insane shit is happening. Or is Cranston taking it too far in a couple of moments when he is obviously in a super fun blockbuster where ATJ doesn't seem to really care about being too sensitive?

I guess it all comes down to how you're watching the movie from the start. If you're always aware it's a monster movie with Godzilla and you're in for the thrills then i can see why that poster's father would think Bryan's over-acting. But if you're looking for that kind of drama within a more grounded disaster film then it should be fine.

I want you to know to know you are all fools and you should listen to Keegan. He has vintage glass. On a film forum, that's like the ring of power. Bow.

-Vader

He had to compensate for the lead actor's mostly non-acting.