Uncut Gems (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
bitch

Spectacular. Amazing script & dialogue. The pacing was PERFECT. Super engaging from the jump. Sandler gives a career defining performance with the rest of the cast at the top of their game. Top 3 film this year for me, probably my fav now that I reflect.
The movie gave me legit anxiety.. this is a must see, buckle up for a wild ride.
Last edited by DABA on December 27th, 2019, 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I need to see this asap!

I also saw this yesterday. I give it a solid A- The film was marketed more toward a mainstream audience with the inclusion of the song in the trailers, but this is very much an independent film. The Safdie Brothers use a hand-held camera for most of the film, a lot of close up shots which invokes a sense of anxiety.

Sandler is spectacular here and I read that even Daniel Day Lewis called him personally to compliment him on his performance. I think the newcomer Julia Fox is certainly an actor to watch. The film appears to be divisive with audiences--currently stands at 66% on RT. Not exactly sure why that is, but perhaps those who have seen it can shed their opinion on the matter.

Best of the year for me. 5/5

Ozymandias wrote:
December 27th, 2019, 9:15 am
I also saw this yesterday. I give it a solid A- The film was marketed more toward a mainstream audience with the inclusion of the song in the trailers, but this is very much an independent film. The Safdie Brothers use a hand-held camera for most of the film, a lot of close up shots which invokes a sense of anxiety.

Sandler is spectacular here and I read that even Daniel Day Lewis called him personally to compliment him on his performance. I think the newcomer Julia Fox is certainly an actor to watch. The film appears to be divisive with audiences--currently stands at 66% on RT. Not exactly sure why that is, but perhaps those who have seen it can shed their opinion on the matter.
The film's marketing sold it as more of an action/heist type flick than it really was. Also, for the uninformed moviegoer, they see Sandler and expected the film to be funnier.

Likely the biggest reason though, is the ending.
Sandler' character is finally gonna get the big payoff he's been chasing the whole flick, and boom! Shot dead... there was a collective groan from the audience I saw the flick with. The ending impression on the flick is bad one for many in the audience.

I really liked it though.

This was really good, an acting highlight while also having a pretty great soundtrack. The story and cinematography isn't as strong as in Good Time but I still shows the Safdie brothers as big talents. I think three people shine in this film with Adam Sandler being the biggest pleasant surprise. He really puts on a show and creates this manic personality where everything seems like a stressful situation. But I would also like to mention Eric Bogosian and Julia Fox who give some of the best supporting performances of the year. Oh, and KG is surprisingly good here. I remember him playing Wilt Chamberlain before but here he's much better and it just shows what good directors can do for actors.

didn't say this in the thread I don't think, but one of the best movies of 2019. embodies a capitalist system of 'big business' where huge corporations and banks use other people's money to their own profit by "betting" on the market, while it ALSO represents a man trying to triumph and control the odds in a chaotic, random universe

this is the safdies 2001: a space odyssey

-Vader

One of the year's best.

Uncut gems?

... Uncut fucking gems. :clap: