2019-2020 Awards Season

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Any candidates you can think of for serious Oscar contention for Supporting categories this year?

I'm having a tough time finding anyone in both male and female categories from what I've seen thus far.

Typically it's easier for me to come up with supporting actors but this year the leads are packed and so far there hasn't been a real stand out in supporting roles. And I'm talking about films that have already come out and not what's upcoming. I get that Bale will probably knock it out of the park and be nominated, the same for Dafoe (though they'll probably be forced into supporting categories as they seem more as co-leads) but I'm talking about films that have already come out.

This is from a week ago though. Since then Bombshell has made an impact.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists ... ss-1244700

Best Supporting Actress

FRONTRUNNERS

Jennifer Lopez (Hustlers)
Laura Dern (Marriage Story)
Margot Robbie (Once Upon a Time in Hollywood)
Maggie Smith (Downton Abbey)
Annette Bening (The Report)

MAJOR THREATS

Shuzhen Zhao (The Farewell)
Scarlett Johansson (Jojo Rabbit)
Thomasin McKenzie (Jojo Rabbit) — podcast
Penelope Cruz (Pain and Glory)
Julia Butters (Once Upon a Time in Hollywood)

POSSIBILITIES

Taylor Russell (Waves)
Da'Vine Joy Randolph (Dolemite Is My Name)
Janelle Monae (Harriet)
Margaret Qualley (Once Upon a Time in Hollywood)

LONG SHOTS

Adèle Haenel (Portrait of a Lady on Fire)
Gugu Mbatha-Raw (Motherless Brooklyn)
Julianne Moore (After the Wedding)
Frances Conroy (Joker)

STILL TO SEE

Ana de Armas (Knives Out)
Judi Dench (Cats)
Laura Dern (Little Women)
Anne Hathaway (Dark Waters)
Jennifer Hudson (Cats)
Nicole Kidman (Bombshell)
Nia Long (The Banker)
Florence Pugh (Little Women)
Margot Robbie (Bombshell)
Chloe Sevigny (Queen & Slim)
Meryl Streep (Little Women)
Marisa Tomei (Frankie)

That's the issue, I haven't seen most of them yet. Only OUATIH and I don't see Robbie as an Oscar contender for this. Only DiCpario... maybe, but that's a lead role.

Cruz was amazing in Dolor y Gloria, hope she gets a nominator for her work

Have you met people who disliked Parasite? It appeals to everyone, it's funny, terrifying; if you want to just watch a movie, you'll have a good time, if you want to talk about it for hours, you also can. It's a major success with audiences, with critics. What more should it be to win Best Screenplay, director and film? Yet, it may not even be nominated for these categories.
Last year, with Roma and Cold War, the Academy showed its ability to watch and value foreign films, I hope it continues with Parasite. Haenel being nominated for best actress would be great too.
Also it seems Nigeria can't submit a candidate for best foreign film, because nigerian films are in english.....

Hopefully seeing Parasite Tuesday.

The Oscar is already expected to be pretty white. If they don't nominate Parasite either that would be extra controversial. For now it's appearing in the 3rd place in the prediction lists for BP, right after The Irishman and Hollywood.