Knives Out (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Now Where Was I ? wrote:
November 28th, 2019, 4:03 pm
What a film :clap:

An incredibly clever, funny and thematically rich script. I think this may be Rian's best one and am so absolutely delighted that this almost-impossible-to-hate film comes to the TLJ haters out there.

Ana Armas just stole the film. This is completely her film. Craig was great, but almost felt like a supporting character to her story. Toni Collette was my favorite of the supporting cast, she had by far the funniest lines :lol:

One minor disappointment is that
I saw the Chris Evans being the mastermind behind it all the minute he came on screen. Just felt obvious and was confirmed when he was puppeting Martha's actions. But the reveal still just came 20 minutes after. The good thing is that there was still three more twists after it, so in the grand scheme of things, it really wasn't that important
A good portion of them are Trump fans or at the very least liberal haters. They'll find plenty to hate about lol.

Also, let’s make this absolutely clear you guys: Rian Johnson fans, uhm haters, they don’t hate him for making Knives Out. They hate him for having the sheer audacity to extend his biological expiration date past the premiere of The Last Jedi. Them hating Knives Out means both The Last Jedi and Knives Out are brilliant films.

Yeah, this was great. I just loved how Johnson took a basic premise, managed to make it feel twisty and complex, but you never lost track of what was going on. Once the ball started rolling, it didn't stop. At first, I was worried about exactly what kind of detective Craig was playing, because based on the marketing, I was led to believe he would be this Holmes-esque, Poirot-type; straight as an arrow, hyperfocused and rarely allows things to slip by him. But once it got to the end, I kind of loved how my expectations were played around with, and that allowed Craig to really go for it. I could listen him talking about donuts all day.

Overslept for my screening of this today :( Have to wait an entire week for the next opportunity to see it. Can't wait!

This is making really good money thus far. Excellent news. I’m all good with RJ just making original movies instead of Star Wars.

I'm seeing haters on Twitter deplore that Johnson ''subverts expections...AGAIN!''

In. A. Whodunnit.

Jesus Christ, these people :lol:

Now Where Was I ? wrote:
November 30th, 2019, 2:59 pm
I'm seeing haters on Twitter deplore that Johnson ''subverts expections...AGAIN!''

In. A. Whodunnit.

Jesus Christ, these people :lol:
They're just reaching. Knives Out got an excellent A- cinemascore. The Last Jedi got an A. People in general really like Rian's movies.

-Vader

Social media is the worst instrument to measure a film's impact on people. It's just a small, yet loud minority of the fringe elements that attempt to stir up controversy.

I really enjoyed Knives Out. My only issue and this is purely subjective is that
it's a very "talky" film. I prefer more show than tell--they're called motion pictures after all. The entirely of the plot is explained to the audience, which is traditional for a whodunit, but still.

Propelled by critical raves and audience adoration to match, Lionsgate’s “Knives Out,” a murder mystery directed by Rian Johnson, launched ahead of expectations, securing second place on domestic charts with $27 million over the weekend and $41.7 million between Wednesday and Sunday. Heading into the weekend, the whodunit starring Daniel Craig, Jamie Lee Curtis and Chris Evans was projected to earn $20 million to $25 million in its first five days of release. The movie cost $40 million and looks to be a triumph for original content at multiplexes.
Source: Yahoo

Loved this! Had no idea that de Armas was the lead, which was a welcome surprise.

Craig's accent mvp