The Eternals (2020)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Posts: 54481
Joined: May 2010
Location: Arrakis
Skyab23 wrote:
July 22nd, 2019, 1:55 pm
Disney+'s solo2001 wrote:
July 22nd, 2019, 3:06 am
i want to see if skylab can consider any of what we've said
I don't have any issue whatsoever with gay representation in films. I have never stated anything to the contrary. I simply look at it from a different perspective because it feels as though these studios are attempting to correct decades of misrepresentation in one fell swoop and it doesn't come across as organic or legitimate.

My view may be the minority view on this forum but it's not as uncommon as you may think. And no, just because you believe studios are shoehorning this into movies doesn't make you sexist or homophobic or any other phobic that is trendy nowadays.

And what did I post that made people fly off the rails? When I posted the laughing emoji with the "she is looking for her queen" quote? I would put the laughing emoji for any description of a movie remotely related to that because it sounds dopey. "He is looking for his Queen," "He is looking for his King." Dopey af.

Let me reiterate one more time: I am not homophobic. You will not find a post on this forum of me ever criticizing gay people or any other minority. I also can't stop a user from misinterpreting my point of view, and that's where the administrators will have to come in, to see if they value differing perspectives on things instead of this place becoming an echo-chamber/ group-think mentality.
This is even worse. You actually don’t see the problem in your post.

Posts: 3014
Joined: November 2011
Location: North Carolina
Master Virgo wrote:
July 22nd, 2019, 3:31 pm
A reminder that Marvel made 17 back to back fucking films with white straight males as leads (Which is what, 30% of US population?) until they finally decided to give other demographics a chance as well.

Only because, shit, we can't dare change our racist, sexist and homophobic history. We have to do it all over again the exact same way so not to offend any fragile flower white straight male out there.
The White, non-Hispanic or Latino population make up 61.3% of the nation's total, with the total White population (including White Hispanics and Latinos) being 76.9%. As far as "white straight males," I'm unfamiliar with the numbers on that, I just know that approximately 4.5% of the U.S. population is LGBTQ.

Somehow, this post will be condemned as racist, even though I'm using facts to correct Virgo's ridiculously inaccurate statement.

To Vader: just because something doesn't affect me doesn't mean I can't have a differing opinion on why I think Disney and other corporations are doing what they're doing. I personally think they're doing it to appease rather than out of genuine sincerity. If they had the balls to do this during the early 2000s or even in the early 2010s, they would get credit, now, however, it just comes across as appeasement.

I also find it hilarious that companies like Disney and other major corporations are criticized routinely for most things but people actually bow down to them when they cast a gay character as though the executives actually truly care. I guess if the ends justify the means...

So that the thread can move on, if anyone would like to continue these discussions, feel free to PM me.

Posts: 42411
Joined: May 2010
Skyab23 wrote:
July 22nd, 2019, 5:43 pm
feel free to PM me.
No thanks.

Skyab23 wrote:
July 22nd, 2019, 5:43 pm
Master Virgo wrote:
July 22nd, 2019, 3:31 pm
A reminder that Marvel made 17 back to back fucking films with white straight males as leads (Which is what, 30% of US population?) until they finally decided to give other demographics a chance as well.

Only because, shit, we can't dare change our racist, sexist and homophobic history. We have to do it all over again the exact same way so not to offend any fragile flower white straight male out there.
The White, non-Hispanic or Latino population make up 61.3% of the nation's total, with the total White population (including White Hispanics and Latinos) being 76.9%. As far as "white straight males," I'm unfamiliar with the numbers on that, I just know that approximately 4.5% of the U.S. population is LGBTQ.

Somehow, this post will be condemned as racist, even though I'm using facts to correct Virgo's ridiculously inaccurate statement.

To Vader: just because something doesn't affect me doesn't mean I can't have a differing opinion on why I think Disney and other corporations are doing what they're doing. I personally think they're doing it to appease rather than out of genuine sincerity. If they had the balls to do this during the early 2000s or even in the early 2010s, they would get credit, now, however, it just comes across as appeasement.

I also find it hilarious that companies like Disney and other major corporations are criticized routinely for most things but people actually bow down to them when they cast a gay character as though the executives actually truly care. I guess if the ends justify the means...

So that the thread can move on, if anyone would like to continue these discussions, feel free to PM me.
this is why you can't have real debates on the internet. if someone gets backed in a corner they just change their arguments.

skylab for the love of allah please be reflective and really listen to the points people have made in this thread, and really think about the motivations behind the points you're making. would someone who was okay with gay people really go on about how disney wasn't including gay people in the still undefined "correct" way? would someone who is okay with gay people only bring up statistically accurate representation the moment gay people become involved? think about what compelled you to suddenly care. think about why you were specifically critical of the new little mermaid casting but weren't about other white actors who are are cast for similar reasons all the time. i'll give you the largest benefit of the doubt that you are genuine in your beliefs, but i implore you to think, deep down, about the reasons you hold those beliefs.

Last edited by Disney+'s solo2001 on July 22nd, 2019, 7:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Posts: 42411
Joined: May 2010
It’s true, that wasn’t even his argument to begin with. He’s just copying my hypothetical as a defense. I don’t think Skyab is capable of having self awareness/self reflection. Hopefully he listens to your post.

Posts: 12650
Joined: February 2011
Skyab23 wrote:
July 22nd, 2019, 5:43 pm
Master Virgo wrote:
July 22nd, 2019, 3:31 pm
A reminder that Marvel made 17 back to back fucking films with white straight males as leads (Which is what, 30% of US population?) until they finally decided to give other demographics a chance as well.

Only because, shit, we can't dare change our racist, sexist and homophobic history. We have to do it all over again the exact same way so not to offend any fragile flower white straight male out there.
The White, non-Hispanic or Latino population make up 61.3% of the nation's total, with the total White population (including White Hispanics and Latinos) being 76.9%. As far as "white straight males," I'm unfamiliar with the numbers on that, I just know that approximately 4.5% of the U.S. population is LGBTQ.

Somehow, this post will be condemned as racist, even though I'm using facts to correct Virgo's ridiculously inaccurate statement.

To Vader: just because something doesn't affect me doesn't mean I can't have a differing opinion on why I think Disney and other corporations are doing what they're doing. I personally think they're doing it to appease rather than out of genuine sincerity. If they had the balls to do this during the early 2000s or even in the early 2010s, they would get credit, now, however, it just comes across as appeasement.

I also find it hilarious that companies like Disney and other major corporations are criticized routinely for most things but people actually bow down to them when they cast a gay character as though the executives actually truly care. I guess if the ends justify the means...

So that the thread can move on, if anyone would like to continue these discussions, feel free to PM me.
It's not racist, just hillarious. You are trying very hard, lmao. I say white straight males are like 30% of populace. Then you give me the entire percentage of white people in US? No shit sherlock. Where were the white female leads (the other 30%) then, or do you consider them represented by the white males? :lol: Try harder next time.

Posts: 42411
Joined: May 2010
Master Virgo wrote:
July 22nd, 2019, 7:53 pm
Skyab23 wrote:
July 22nd, 2019, 5:43 pm
Master Virgo wrote:
July 22nd, 2019, 3:31 pm
A reminder that Marvel made 17 back to back fucking films with white straight males as leads (Which is what, 30% of US population?) until they finally decided to give other demographics a chance as well.

Only because, shit, we can't dare change our racist, sexist and homophobic history. We have to do it all over again the exact same way so not to offend any fragile flower white straight male out there.
The White, non-Hispanic or Latino population make up 61.3% of the nation's total, with the total White population (including White Hispanics and Latinos) being 76.9%. As far as "white straight males," I'm unfamiliar with the numbers on that, I just know that approximately 4.5% of the U.S. population is LGBTQ.

Somehow, this post will be condemned as racist, even though I'm using facts to correct Virgo's ridiculously inaccurate statement.

To Vader: just because something doesn't affect me doesn't mean I can't have a differing opinion on why I think Disney and other corporations are doing what they're doing. I personally think they're doing it to appease rather than out of genuine sincerity. If they had the balls to do this during the early 2000s or even in the early 2010s, they would get credit, now, however, it just comes across as appeasement.

I also find it hilarious that companies like Disney and other major corporations are criticized routinely for most things but people actually bow down to them when they cast a gay character as though the executives actually truly care. I guess if the ends justify the means...

So that the thread can move on, if anyone would like to continue these discussions, feel free to PM me.
It's not racist, just hillarious. You are trying very hard, lmao. I say white straight males are like 30% of populace. Then you give me the entire percentage of white people in US? No shit sherlock. Where were the white female leads (the other 30%) then, or do you consider them represented by the white males? :lol: Try harder next time.
Lmao. I noticed this but was too lazy to call it out. He thought he was so smart with his numbers. :lol:

Posts: 54481
Joined: May 2010
Location: Arrakis
Dude points at numbers and percentages of gay population, indicating it’s a small number (therefore economically worthless or what?)... but he’s ‘totes okay with the gay population lulz’... Gimme a fucking break. You go in the same basket as idiots who have problems with a black superhero, a female superhero and (I kid you not), a deaf superhero these days. Just one step short of neonacism. :judge:

Posts: 12650
Joined: February 2011
The best part is, that even if 70% of US were white males (lolz), fuck knows what that has that to do with my point that the real representation injustice to object to here is the lack of any effort to give the other 30% a chance to be in front and center over the course of a decade.

But in his mind he's thinking, yeah that's right, I'm owning Master Virgo by telling him his statistics are wrong and it's not 30 rather 70. So the 17 films thing which is your point can be ignored. Now let's go back to the overrepresentation of LGBTQ folks who have now 2 or maybe holy shit 3 members among the shit tons of MCU characters after decades of denial (no pun intended) for their very existence. That is the issue that needs to be addressed.

Posts: 3471
Joined: June 2010
Location: Secret Canadian Bunker

Post Reply