Joker (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
it's only a "meme movie" for internet people tho lol

I've only really come across it being named as such on here and a bit on reddit and that's it

Pretty cool for Philips and Phoenix and basically everyone involved in making it that it won. I didn't expect it to take top prize

Artemis wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 6:28 pm
It's just kind of silly how last year Roma won the top prize and this year a meme movie is winning it.

I do hope the movie is good when I see it though.
yeah that's what law's talking about.

the way joker's getting framed is like the filmmakers created the meme when, no, everybody else did pretty much out of whole cloth

it's a discourse of nothing

-Vader

lol ikr

Had it been made any other time, maybe even as little as 5 year ago, I think the response would be very different to this movie.

Of course the filmmakers don't intend for this to happen or they don't want this to happen, but timing is a strange thing sometimes. This movie is coming at the height of some of these memes and these certain online communities and the discourse is fascinating to see. Annoying yes, but fascinating nonetheless.

no offense artemis, and i don't even care about this movie, but you're trivializing the movie for something you are doing, and have done for weeks, not for anything the filmmakers have created. its all self-perpetuating.

-Vader

Yeah I'm definitely guilty of it no doubt about that. But it's also happening outside this forum too and I was mostly commenting on that.

Once again, sorry if I've annoyed anyone with any of the jokes I made. It was legit all in good fun and I even stressed earlier in this topic that I was looking forward to the movie
until I saw that second trailer :shock:

Vader182 wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 6:48 pm
no offense artemis, and i don't even care about this movie, but you're trivializing the movie for something you are doing, and have done for weeks, not for anything the filmmakers have created. its all self-perpetuating.

-Vader
Nailed it. It’s exhausting.

Point taken lmao :lol:

You thought last year's Oscar race was exhausting with all the controversy around Green Book and Bohemian Rhapsody. If this movie is a serious player, look out for all the think pieces from the likes of Slate, Slant, Vox, Vulture, Indiewire,etc. coming our way.

At least this makes the Oscar race far more interesting. Intrigued to see how rest of awards season pans out.