Joker (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Posts: 1
Joined: October 2019
I liked the theatrical cut of 2019's "Joker", but didn't love it because of one glaring issue - the climax was far too short, everything else is fine. BUT....I know this movie is secretly a masterpiece underneath because Todd Phillips said the original cut was 2 1/2 hours. He even said that one of the scenes he had to cut out was his favorite scene in the entire movie.

I'm sure Phoenix and Phillips have a campaign underway as of now to get a Director's Cut out to the public, but let's, at least, show them our undying support. Sign my petition and let's make this thing happen! Whether you're fine with the theatrical version or you were disappointed by the lack of content in the climax - we can all agree that artistic integrity must be retained

http://chng.it/QCvTGd4z

Posts: 25441
Joined: June 2011
Like...this isn't great/amazing.

But it's definitely not as bad as some of you are making it out to be.

Posts: 8252
Joined: August 2009
Bacon wrote:
October 9th, 2019, 1:37 am
Like...this isn't great/amazing.

But it's definitely not as bad as some of you are making it out to be.
yeah you're right
it's actually worse
lordthorgorath wrote:
October 8th, 2019, 7:38 pm
I liked the theatrical cut of 2019's "Joker", but didn't love it because of one glaring issue - the climax was far too short, everything else is fine. BUT....I know this movie is secretly a masterpiece underneath because Todd Phillips said the original cut was 2 1/2 hours. He even said that one of the scenes he had to cut out was his favorite scene in the entire movie.

I'm sure Phoenix and Phillips have a campaign underway as of now to get a Director's Cut out to the public, but let's, at least, show them our undying support. Sign my petition and let's make this thing happen! Whether you're fine with the theatrical version or you were disappointed by the lack of content in the climax - we can all agree that artistic integrity must be retained

http://chng.it/QCvTGd4z
oh great. another director's cut movement for DC stans to be annoying about

Posts: 518
Joined: July 2010
Sanchez wrote:
October 8th, 2019, 6:01 pm
Most of all, I'm annoyed that so much of the elements that pushes the plot forward requires me to read something. Newspaper headlines, letters, medical journals. The movie is filled with lazy, uncreative writing.
Yes. And direction doesn't elevate those scenes either.

Posts: 7324
Joined: August 2012
lordthorgorath wrote:
October 8th, 2019, 7:38 pm
I liked the theatrical cut of 2019's "Joker", but didn't love it because of one glaring issue - the climax was far too short, everything else is fine. BUT....I know this movie is secretly a masterpiece underneath because Todd Phillips said the original cut was 2 1/2 hours. He even said that one of the scenes he had to cut out was his favorite scene in the entire movie.

I'm sure Phoenix and Phillips have a campaign underway as of now to get a Director's Cut out to the public, but let's, at least, show them our undying support. Sign my petition and let's make this thing happen! Whether you're fine with the theatrical version or you were disappointed by the lack of content in the climax - we can all agree that artistic integrity must be retained

http://chng.it/QCvTGd4z
Whatever you say Todd

Posts: 778
Joined: March 2011
Location: In your mind
Brilliant brilliant film. What I didn't like: Too much reading. His rant at the end was a little too on the nose. Not sure how to explain it. But the subtleties of the rest of the film make up for it.

Posts: 2554
Joined: January 2009
Location: Budapest, Hungary
Mindheist wrote:
October 9th, 2019, 6:04 pm
Brilliant brilliant film. What I didn't like: Too much reading. His rant at the end was a little too on the nose. Not sure how to explain it. But the subtleties of the rest of the film make up for it.
Not to be nitpicky - as I agree that the end speech was quite on the nose - but what other parts of the film are subtle? :D I thought almost the whole film was really on the nose and obvious...

Posts: 25441
Joined: June 2011
Yeah, this film was trying incredibly hard to appear subtle while getting across things in the most obvious ways possible. I'd still take this over a good chunk of mainstream movies that I've seen, though. It was unique and entertaining enough to leave a mark on me at least. Not nearly worth the hype/controversy though.

Posts: 18802
Joined: June 2010
Location: The White City
Bacon, what do you think is unique about Joker?


-Vader

Posts: 25441
Joined: June 2011
Vader182 wrote:
October 9th, 2019, 9:26 pm
Bacon, what do you think is unique about Joker?


-Vader
Could you reply in a more condescending way?

It might not be doing much in the vein of new storytelling, but the entire concept of this film is a new move for the superhero film direction. Reminds me strongly of Logan or Split (both of which are significantly better films), where the concept of the superhero or super-villain is mutated and shaped to fit the form of other pre-existing kinds of entertainment, often blatantly borrowing elements from them. The film may not deliver anything I haven't seen before in a movie, but it gave me (and most others) something that hasn't been explored in a comic book film before.

More films like this (and Logan and Split), just from less arrogant people for less rabid fans, could open up some seriously interesting opportunities for the genre and other filmmakers. If this is a catalyst for that kind of thing, awesome. No need for negativity. This is hardly as terrible as you're trying to write it off as.

Post Reply