Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
im doing a semi-QT fest and let me just say kill bill is, in fact, good.

the house of blue leaves is one of the greatest set pieces of all time, but watching it makes me wish Inglourious Basterds, which I love, had a stronger sense of sweep and cinematic style. A distractingly large chunk of that movie, particularly the stuff following The Basterds, is cinematographically flat in a way his other movies just aren't but that's especially true compared to Kill Bill and especially of the House of Blue Leaves, which are next level shit.

It's likely a consequence of the rushed production, but it's the biggest flaw with otherwise my favorite QT.

-Vader

Kill Bill is Richardson’s best work with QT without question.

Watched Vol 2 couple of days back. And every time I rewatch it, I am amazed to see how unbelievably good the film is. The way story unfolds is just immensely satisfying. Elle and Kiddo's fight scene is one of the best fight scenes of 21st Century. And how in the world did Tarantino get Gordon Liu to play Pai Mei.

Vader182 wrote:
July 22nd, 2019, 3:49 am
im doing a semi-QT fest and let me just say kill bill is, in fact, good.

the house of blue leaves is one of the greatest set pieces of all time, but watching it makes me wish Inglourious Basterds, which I love, had a stronger sense of sweep and cinematic style. A distractingly large chunk of that movie, particularly the stuff following The Basterds, is cinematographically flat in a way his other movies just aren't but that's especially true compared to Kill Bill and especially of the House of Blue Leaves, which are next level shit.

It's likely a consequence of the rushed production, but it's the biggest flaw with otherwise my favorite QT.

-Vader
I'm not sure many people talk about this, but a writer I know pointed out that one of the reasons he is less than satisfied with Inglorious Basterds is that it's just weird to hear all the characters talk in that very Tarantinoesque way with a number of cultural references thrown in, but this time in German or French. It's like he just wrote American dialogue and then translated it into German or French, regardless of whether the same way of talking makes sense in that particular foreign culture or not. It's a nitpicky point (although for a writer I guess this is an important point) but I think it's true - even if I still enjoy and love the film.

Leo’s currently being attacked on twitter because he hasn’t worked with a female director since 1995.

i'll direct u leo bby

But for real though that kind of sucks. I don't think attacking one person is going to fix the systemic issues that Hollywood and the film industry overall has with female directors and crew. Leo can work with 10 female directors every year and it still won't fix things.

you sure don't like guy lodge, allstar

i think folks gunning for kathy kennedy over this issue is similarly lame.

representation is vitally important and has to happen sooner than later (give Lynne Ramsay the fucking world) but pushing all this blame on single people isn't constructive either.

-Vader

In the past decade he’s only worked with 6 directors total, not an exaggeration. He’s just incredibly picky. If he worked with like 20 then I could see the point.

Lodge is arrogant and off putting at times but I wasn’t singling him out here. He’s not the only one.
Last edited by Allstar on July 22nd, 2019, 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Didn't Kennedy even explicitly say that she approached female directors but they would say no?

What is she supposed to do, force them into directing?

Artemis wrote:
July 22nd, 2019, 6:04 pm
Didn't Kennedy even explicitly say that she approached female directors but they would say no?

What is she supposed to do, force them into directing?
She implied she's talked with them, not necessarily that she offered them any directing gigs of a star wars feature. What she said very clearly is she only wants directors with a certain level of directing experience, and there's not many women with that experience yet.

That's the quote that had people throw her to the wolves despite making three of the most diverse blockbusters in the history of cinema.

-Vader