Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Posts: 7243
Joined: August 2012
Admittedly, I’m VERY high on this, I just saw it not even half an hour ago. But honestly? This is right behind Basterds and Pulp for my top Tarantino kinos. I’m in love

If there was ever a movie where I’d want to live, it’s literally this. I had a really bad day emotionally right up until this movie started
like I just fucking knew it that can of dog food was going to fly into someone’s face the moment it appeared and i was just instinctively praying for it to happen lmao

the entire audience was SCREECHING during the entire sequence of you know what. it’s been a while since the last time i saw people laugh like that in a theater

Posts: 8093
Joined: August 2009
Ruth wrote:
August 13th, 2019, 2:53 pm
Admittedly, I’m VERY high on this, I just saw it not even half an hour ago. But honestly? This is right behind Basterds and Pulp for my top Tarantino kinos. I’m in love

If there was ever a movie where I’d want to live, it’s literally this. I had a really bad day emotionally right up until this movie started
like I just fucking knew it that can of dog food was going to fly into someone’s face the moment it appeared and i was just instinctively praying for it to happen lmao

the entire audience was SCREECHING during the entire sequence of you know what. it’s been a while since the last time i saw people laugh like that in a theater
My audience was so quiet up until that sequence. It was so great. Really packed a punch (pun totally intended). I'm glad that we got to have that little fantasy of how the Manson family should have been treated.

Posts: 54100
Joined: May 2010
I just wanted to personally thank Ruth for 10th posting LEXX’s shit talk.

Posts: 320
Joined: June 2012
The truth must fucking hurt right? Keep crying m4st4 you little troll. Serious stop troll following me and finding something to cry about since you are still butt hurt about getting ban from me. Attacking me without quoting me with most of your posts and don't think I don't notice it. At least I don't support a POS who pretend to know nothing about what Harvey Weinstein been up to.

Posts: 827
Joined: December 2017
See it in 4 days. 4 FUCKING DAYS.

LITERALLY CAN'T WAIT.
Last edited by Nolan62 on August 13th, 2019, 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posts: 430
Joined: April 2014
LEXX wrote:
August 13th, 2019, 5:00 pm
The truth must fucking hurt right? Keep crying m4st4 you little troll. Serious stop troll following me and finding something to cry about since you are still butt hurt about getting ban from me. Attacking me without quoting me with most of your posts and don't think I don't notice it. At least I don't support a POS who pretend to know nothing about what Harvey Weinstein been up to.
Image

Posts: 7243
Joined: August 2012
Artemis wrote:
August 13th, 2019, 3:27 pm
Ruth wrote:
August 13th, 2019, 2:53 pm
Admittedly, I’m VERY high on this, I just saw it not even half an hour ago. But honestly? This is right behind Basterds and Pulp for my top Tarantino kinos. I’m in love

If there was ever a movie where I’d want to live, it’s literally this. I had a really bad day emotionally right up until this movie started
like I just fucking knew it that can of dog food was going to fly into someone’s face the moment it appeared and i was just instinctively praying for it to happen lmao

the entire audience was SCREECHING during the entire sequence of you know what. it’s been a while since the last time i saw people laugh like that in a theater
My audience was so quiet up until that sequence. It was so great. Really packed a punch (pun totally intended). I'm glad that we got to have that little fantasy of how the Manson family should have been treated.
Right.
There were occasional laughs and giggles, but then it’s like the entire theater let itself go wild. Which tells me that Tarantino played all of his cards right, because even if you’re not overly familiar with the historical/cultural context of this movie, which is what I assume at least a good third or 1/4 of the audience might have been where I’m from, people were still completely in key with whatever the film attempted to communicate.

There’s a sad realization once the hysterics and the laughter settle down, the “this is how it should have gone down”, as you mentioned. The moment Jay comes to the gate to invite Rick over, you’re hit with it immediately, and it brings you back to reality. It’s a vaguely cheerful, dreamy ending, but it’s still a mere fantasy, wishful thinking never meant to fulfill itself. This is... really sad. I think the ending was superb, and it especially highlighted those feelings.
And since I’m basically reviewing this film here at this point, I’ll add
I adored the crap out of the way Tarantino dealt with the family. The only moment where some remnants of actual dread could be ever felt is when Cliff is all by himself in Spahn Ranch, and it’s only because of their numbers. They’re not menacing or frightening by any means. They’re never treated as if they had any actual “legacy”. They are as pathetic as they come, and it’s “crowned” by Tex Watson who, in his first appearance in the film, is introduced as this kind of macho-like, Manson-second-in-command, “screening” others and overseeing the girls type of dude, yet is immediately “dethroned” and literally castrated by a (female) dog the next moment he’s on screen. This is honestly kind of glorious. Manson himself is of no importance here, and the fact alone that he feels like a disposable character, is not the pacing/writing flaw, but the actual point here, I think. It’s a very slippery slope between accurately telegraphing the cult’s stand in that particular setting without distasteful exploitation, but Tarantino pulled that off exceptionally well. They got the only kind of exposure they deserved.

Also I’m absolutely living for that You Keep Me Hanging On version. Ugh the music my lord.
m4st4 wrote:
August 13th, 2019, 4:21 pm
I just wanted to personally thank Ruth for 10th posting LEXX’s shit talk.
I do my best.

Posts: 2533
Joined: January 2009
Location: Budapest, Hungary
LEXX wrote:
August 13th, 2019, 5:00 pm
The truth must fucking hurt right? Keep crying m4st4 you little troll. Serious stop troll following me and finding something to cry about since you are still butt hurt about getting ban from me. Attacking me without quoting me with most of your posts and don't think I don't notice it. At least I don't support a POS who pretend to know nothing about what Harvey Weinstein been up to.
I haven't seen the film yet, but Bruce Lee has a beast of a legacy already. How could one film destroy that? What is your worry here exactly? It's Bruce Lee, everyone knows he's a badass and a legend, not even QT can hurt him, even if what you say about his portrayal in this film is true. Your anger seems a bit too excessive, especially since QT's intentions, whatever the results, were not mean or evil. He's an artist who really, really knows film history - however he portarys Bruce Lee is an artistic choice. He has his reasons. And bear in mind, the film isn't about Lee, so maybe - probably - his portrayal has to be seen in context of the whole story. I just don't get the anger.

Posts: 320
Joined: June 2012
DHOPW42 wrote:
August 13th, 2019, 5:18 pm
LEXX wrote:
August 13th, 2019, 5:00 pm
The truth must fucking hurt right? Keep crying m4st4 you little troll. Serious stop troll following me and finding something to cry about since you are still butt hurt about getting ban from me. Attacking me without quoting me with most of your posts and don't think I don't notice it. At least I don't support a POS who pretend to know nothing about what Harvey Weinstein been up to.
I haven't seen the film yet, but Bruce Lee has a beast of a legacy already. How could one film destroy that? What is your worry here exactly? It's Bruce Lee, everyone knows he's a badass and a legend, not even QT can hurt him, even if what you say about his portrayal in this film is true. Your anger seems a bit too excessive, especially since QT's intentions, whatever the results, were not mean or evil. He's an artist who really, really knows film history - however he portarys Bruce Lee is an artistic choice. He has his reasons. And bear in mind, the film isn't about Lee, so maybe - probably - his portrayal has to be seen in context of the whole story. I just don't get the anger.
If you or I was the director and if certain people is iconic you don't portray them in a certain way that it totally disrespectful. That is my point. Why go there in the first place? What's the point of exploiting Bruce Lee like that in the first place when he could at least put a better spin on it. Sure it's the director(s) artistic choice but that means you have no respect for that person when you represent them in that light. That is the reason why people are pissed because instead of representing Lee who is a minority in a more philosophical manner he chose to misrepresent him as so arrogant prick. Sure it this is not going to ruin Lee's legacy but that's not the point. The point is that Tarantino chose to disrespect Lee and misrepresent him in a manner that isn't very respectable in a very important and small role. See what will happen if Tarantino pull the same shit with Malcolm X or The Martin Luther King. I can understand why his daughter Shannon Lee is not happy with this representation of her father.

Posts: 54100
Joined: May 2010
Just one more day before I can open those juicy spoilers.

Post Reply