The Lion King (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I know exactly what I’m getting next Wednesday and I’m fine with it being a superbudgeted exercise in photorealism, as long as it at least touches upon the ‘94 magic from time to time. I’m ready to get emotional just by reminiscing on my childhood memories, and that’s fine. The cast seems great, the songs are largely untouched. Original is still intact.

It’s the work of a studio that’s gobbled up the rest of the film industry and is still hungry for more. The Lion King feels less like a remake than a snuff film, and a boring one at that.
-Ehlrich

Lol, he gave it away. Some of the other critics were more subtle at least. I suspect they will give Mulan more of a break though.

Artemis wrote:
July 11th, 2019, 1:09 pm
Borrowing from Hamlet is legit not a big deal because so much of film and literature is taken from Shakespeare whether directly or indirectly and they are still considered original.

It's a literature joke that you can find Bible or Shakespeare allusions in everything you read.
I have no problem with that. I have no problem with Avatar borrowing from Pocahontas, Dances with Wolves and ect. Avatar doesn't look anything like those movies. Sure the themes are there but it's another take on it that I find its refreshing. But Kimba vs Simba visual comparison is an embarrassing only because of their denying it.

Fix
Artemis wrote:
July 11th, 2019, 12:23 pm
Last edited by LEXX on July 11th, 2019, 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LEXX wrote:
July 11th, 2019, 1:19 pm
Artemis wrote:
July 11th, 2019, 1:09 pm
Borrowing from Hamlet is legit not a big deal because so much of film and literature is taken from Shakespeare whether directly or indirectly and they are still considered original.

It's a literature joke that you can find Bible or Shakespeare allusions in everything you read.
I have no problem with that. I have no problem with Avatar borrowing from Pocahontas, Dances with Wolves and ect. Avatar doesn't look anything like those movies. Sure the themes are there but it's another take on it that I find its refreshing. But Kimba vs Simba visual comparison is an embarrassing only because of their denying it.
#JusticeForKimba

Lol, who cares. I certainly don’t.

Reviews don't matter, this is tracking for a huge opening weekend. It will clear a billion dollars and thensome. But its nice to see the critics not all fawn over the Disney machine again.

radewart wrote:
July 11th, 2019, 1:28 pm
Reviews don't matter, this is tracking for a huge opening weekend. It will clear a billion dollars and thensome. But its nice to see the critics not all fawn over the Disney machine again.
Marvel is untouchable, they’ve been quite tough on these adaptations though. Surprised Beauty and The Beast isn’t rotten.

Aladdin is nearing a billion. We are way past speculations that this one will stop at anywhere around just one billion.

It could get close to 2 billion depending on how much China is in to it. Aladdin's numbers weren't very big there.

They should have just shot a live version and use this technique if they wanted more expressions:

radewart wrote:
July 11th, 2019, 1:28 pm
Just in the past two years they've given Pirates 5, Nutcracker, Wrinkle, Dumbo and
Aladdin mixed or negative reviews, while Beauty, Poppins, Christopher Robin, Cars 3, Cap Marvel and Solo have gotten away with mixed to positive ones.

Fawning over the Disney machine is not detected.