The Lion King (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
The visuals are absolute perfection.

What the fuck is Disney even doing with these I felt nothing. :(

I'm not gonna lie, this is my childhood returned.
Bring it on,Jon.

Man, the music...

m4st4 wrote:
April 10th, 2019, 8:36 am
What the fuck is Disney even doing with these I felt nothing. :(
Easy money and an exercise in copyright extension.

^ Yeah. The visuals are gorgeous though but what else can they be in this day and age, and from absolute professionals from ILM.

I'd argue that having realistic visuals is detrimental. Animation provides slapstickness(?). Remakes will have to most likely drop it.

Disclaimer: I have zero interest in Disney's remakes so I could be biased. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bacon wrote:
April 10th, 2019, 8:09 am

The animation looks insane. Music brought back big memories. That being said though, Scar's voice is waaay off.
I knew Ejiofor was a miscast. Should have went with Ben Men.

This still looks completely pointless. Meh.

I know this is self-explanatory, but I just want to say it out loud that I'm pretty sure Disney is not aiming this at fans of the old, becasue they know exactly how that audience reacts to these remakes. And I don't think they want to convice the old fans in any way. This is for a whole new generation.

The Lion King was the first movie I've ever seen in a theatre, if I remember well, and I've seen it several times. I'm not a huge fan, but I think it's a great achievement in animated filmmaking, with the music, the villain, the heartwrenching death scene. And, just like someone said the same thing above, I did not feel anything watching this other than it being a spectacular video game cinematic cutscene. Apart from this, a big part of animated movies is usually comedy, because animation allows characters to behave in a physical way that is comical and would be really hard to pull off with real-life characters (especially when it comes to animals - who the hell wants to see real looking animals get hurt? Imagine a Tom & Jerry CGI reboot). The 101 Dalmatians remake comes to mind, where most slapstick humor was reserved for the human characters, if I'm correct. But of course you can't do that with The Lion King.

All in all, I don't want to fight this: this wasn't made for me. It looks stunning, but not much else. (and yes, the music is great, but it's the same music as in the original so that's not really an achievement)

DHOPW42 wrote:
April 10th, 2019, 9:20 am
I know this is self-explanatory, but I just want to say it out loud that I'm pretty sure Disney is not aiming this at fans of the old, becasue they know exactly how that audience reacts to these remakes. And I don't think they want to convice the old fans in any way. This is for a whole new generation.

All in all, I don't want to fight this: this wasn't made for me. It looks stunning, but not much else. (and yes, the music is great, but it's the same music as in the original so that's not really an achievement)
It isn't made for you, but still, it's mostly made for those who liked the original. There are many different groups of people who liked the original. And most of them are targeted by this film. Every tweet about this film tend to prove it. I guess I'm in the same group as you...
Also agree with Pratham on the visual. Either shoot reality or go crazy with the animation; I'm not so excited by this visual approach...