Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Quell wrote:
Ruth wrote:can't think of the Shining without thinking of that bear costumed guy shot. Probably the most disturbing moment of the film for me.
It's said to be tied directly to Danny being a victim of sexual abuse.
yeah I was already aware of that. But it's very creepy even if you don't know that. Went back to take a peek at some of the theories on the film. Don't think a movie that is more overanalyzed exists though haha.

Ruth wrote:
Quell wrote:
Ruth wrote:can't think of the Shining without thinking of that bear costumed guy shot. Probably the most disturbing moment of the film for me.
It's said to be tied directly to Danny being a victim of sexual abuse.
yeah I was already aware of that. But it's very creepy even if you don't know that. Went back to take a peek at some of the theories on the film. Don't think a movie that is more overanalyzed exists though haha.
That's part of it's charm though haha. I was fully expecting for it to end and me be annoyed by the ambiguities or feel as if the film was undeserving of the praise it has received over the years, but basically as soon as the opening shot happened and the music kicked in, I was hooked.

^ Oh no, I love the film. I just think the amount of theories and the number of people who're 100% certain about them is borderline hilarious. The film obviously has depth and a ton of ambiguity around it, but I don't think Kubrick necessarily intended ~eVeRyThInG~ lol.

What is your favourite Kubrick ?

Ruth wrote:^ Oh no, I love the film. I just think the amount of theories and the number of people who're 100% certain about them is borderline hilarious. The film obviously has depth and a ton of ambiguity around it, but I don't think Kubrick necessarily intended ~eVeRyThInG~ lol.
I'd say 99% of everything was finely pinpointed. A lot of the stuff on set was never explained to any of the cast and crew, not even Stanley's family. As with all theories many are stretched but they're rooted in reality for sure, whether a joke initially from Kubrick or something more sinister.

Lady Bird

It was fine. I just came away underwhelmed by it all. This was pretty much like any other coming of age story. Lady Bird, the lead, is sooooo bland, she’s not outright uninteresting but she isn’t unique either. Her predicaments are so basic. This film lacked imagination to me.

It felt like we were being shoved from one scene to the next, but the end result felt incomplete. The relationship between the mother and daughter was thin, so the resolve felt empty to me, I mean, we were told what to feel but I don’t think the film earned it. It didn’t communicate the urgency of lady bird’s angst efficiently. I felt there was a lack of understanding. The film functions like Lady Bird’s experiences are unique and insightful, I personally never understood why.

It was fine.

7.5/10

The Assassin- 6/10.

It was confusing but not confused. I mean i kinda get it by the end of the movie but still confused with some bits; reading some of the reviews afterwards definitely helped cleared some of my thoughts. Still though, a bit more dialogue and visual exposition would've been nice. Some really good cinematography though.

I don't particularly like this movie nor dislike it, but i appreciate what the movie is trying to do. And man little did i know how much i missed Shu Qui's face.

Bridge of Spies
Twas fine.

I need more Cold War films. Stranglelove and TTSS aren't enough for me right now. Suggestions?

Nolan62 wrote:
What is your favourite Kubrick ?
2001, I'd say? I actually haven't seen all of Kubrick's films. Terrible, I know.

Downsizing

It was kind of boring. I felt like there was really no plot and there was just no second act.

The concept is super interesting and Payne did touch upon some social issues that would come about if the procedure were to be real, but it was just not executed very well.