Star Wars Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Now Where Was I ? wrote:
December 30th, 2019, 8:42 pm
TLJ teased a big rivalry between Hux & Kylo in IX (literally the last closeup of the film)

And we got... this.

May not be huge but a big disappointment for me
The more you think about it, it’s amazing how much they botched when you add it all up. Sad.

Update on Terrio comments-

https://twitter.com/mrbeaks/status/1211 ... 08865?s=21

Lmao

So much for bullshit explanations.

Gleeson hammed it up so hard in both TFA and TLJ and surprise surprise he did in this film as well.
it was the best possible decision to kill him off like that lol

I'm hearing this is underperforming with critics

must be because of Adam Driver :sick:

Dodd wrote:
December 31st, 2019, 11:19 am

This is arguable the most pathetic bait I’ve ever seen on this site. A ban worthy offense.

Master Virgo wrote:
December 29th, 2019, 12:36 pm
Honouring Luke and Anakin on Tatooine is like honouring Harry Potter on 4
Private Drive. It's a damning place that they always wanted to get away from. It's somewhere that they suffered great tragedies, and their life only really started when they left that cursed planet. It's as if someone honours Rey on Jakku after her death.

But of course who cares about what makes sense fot the characters. Nostalgia for Star Wars fans, is all that matters.
I think the film is a mess, but I really don't agree with this.
Part of the power of both faith and pilgrimage in particular is that it is transformative. It can and does elevate what was mundane into something immensely powerful. That is the magic of it, and the importance of it: that the site of tragedy and then humble, mundane existence can become a place of power and universal importance.

This is more ham-fisted of course than the broomboy coda, but it speaks to the same ideas of the ordinary becoming extraordinary.

If Harry Potter was a history and if Rowling had any concept of a mythic scope and any of these kinds of ideas then yes, 4 Privet Drive would get a blue plaque and would be a place of pilgrimage. Because that's the cradle of the person's values and what makes them them. Harry is a good person because he has an exemplar to rail against. Luke is a good person because he was raised by good people, even if he hated that life. These characters don't come to us as a blank, impressionable canvas who might be pushed this way and that (unlike, well, Anakin).

Dodd wrote:

Is Dodd still 'cute' in 2020 or are we over this shit after a decade of bull-shit?

Dodd wrote:

giving you 2 weeks to come up with something more original than this

ArmandFancypants wrote:
December 31st, 2019, 11:47 am
Master Virgo wrote:
December 29th, 2019, 12:36 pm
Honouring Luke and Anakin on Tatooine is like honouring Harry Potter on 4
Private Drive. It's a damning place that they always wanted to get away from. It's somewhere that they suffered great tragedies, and their life only really started when they left that cursed planet. It's as if someone honours Rey on Jakku after her death.

But of course who cares about what makes sense fot the characters. Nostalgia for Star Wars fans, is all that matters.
I think the film is a mess, but I really don't agree with this.
Part of the power of both faith and pilgrimage in particular is that it is transformative. It can and does elevate what was mundane into something immensely powerful. That is the magic of it, and the importance of it: that the site of tragedy and then humble, mundane existence can become a place of power and universal importance.

This is more ham-fisted of course than the broomboy coda, but it speaks to the same ideas of the ordinary becoming extraordinary.

If Harry Potter was a history and if Rowling had any concept of a mythic scope and any of these kinds of ideas then yes, 4 Privet Drive would get a blue plaque and would be a place of pilgrimage. Because that's the cradle of the person's values and what makes them them. Harry is a good person because he has an exemplar to rail against. Luke is a good person because he was raised by good people, even if he hated that life. These characters don't come to us as a blank, impressionable canvas who might be pushed this way and that (unlike, well, Anakin).
The appropriate way to pay tribute to people, is to do it on a place where they made their greatest accomplishment, a place of catharsis, where they put their hearts and souls to achieve greatness for themselves and others.

Dumbledore was rightfully honoured in Hogwarts, not his childhood home where he always blamed himself for the death of his sister and a place where tragedies tore apart his family.

For Luke that has to be Crait, but that is not a place that some portion of Star Wars fans would ever want to revisit. So they go somewhere that everybody remember fondly due to nostalgia.
It's in the same vein as Leia and Han naming their son, Ben. Who the hell is Ben? It's an alias used by Obi-Wan so he can survive during the reign of Empire. It's not even the name Leia knew him by.

Obi-Wan Kenobi was a legend, the great hero of the republic and the Jedi. Ben Kenobi is a defeated old man living the remainder of his life in exile alone. It's as if Samwise names his son, Strider, because it's the name they initially knew Aragorn by. But he was Strider when he was small and insignificant, a vagabond in the woods who is belittled by the locales and not taken seriously. What kind of honouring would that be?

But Ben is Obi-Wan's name exclusively used in OT, while the name, Obi-Wan has been somewhat polluted by the memory of Prequels. And that mindset would repeatedly take priority over what appears to be the best for the characters and the story throughout Abrams' two outings in ST.

FWIW Luke consistently refers to Obi-Wan as Ben in the OT, and Leia knows who he’s talking about when says his name in the cell in SW.

I never read the novel but it seems implied Luke had met Ben before SW. Ben is more than just an alias. It clearly is an endearing name for Obi-Wan. I don’t think you can compare it to Tatooine that both Anakin and Luke explicitly expressed extreme dislike toward.