Best Films of the Decade (2010-2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
And since then it has been completely forgotten, only brought up when David O. Russell or Jennifer Lawrence is mentioned. I've seen it twice, the first time I thought it was great, but it was very disappointing on second viewing. It's a nothing film, and I'm glad it didn't win any Oscars.

Did I mention that I'm a huge fan of classic films and I miss the Golden Ages of Hollywood? :X

Aside from Nolan and Fincher even today's best directors can't usually hold a candle to Hitchcock, Frank Capra, Billy Wilder, Howard Hawks, Preston Sturges, etc, etc

Comedy is a particularly weak genre these days. I can't recall the last time I saw a comedy on par with the likes of You Can't Take it With You, Some Like It Hot, It Happened One Night, Arsenic and Old Lace, Bringing Up Baby, The Lady Eve, etc. :( Meet the Parents maybe? :think: Certainly nothing in this decade so far though...

Also it is no secret that original films are being dominated by the plethora of sequels, adaptations, super hero flicks, etc. Of course they aren't all bad (I do have a number of non-original films in my Top 10) and the Marvel films are actually pretty great, but still, many would agree with me that the future of the film industry looks more bleak every year...

I mean, really? This article is a joke, right?

http://www.hitfix.com/news/24-films-tha ... -year-ever

Another Terminator? Another Jurassic Park? Another Star Wars? Another Pirates of the Carribean? Another Dan Brown novel adaptation? An Avatar sequel? An Independence Day sequel? WTF?! :facepalm:

Seriously there's only a few of those films I'm even mildly anticipating...
Last edited by lcbaseball22 on March 17th, 2015, 2:05 am, edited 3 times in total.

My Top 10:

1.) Inception - Watched it again on Blu-Ray recently, chills. Incredible imagery and themes.
2.) Drive - Such a dreamy movie, transfixed me. Amazing soundtrack.
3.) Gone Girl - First half was eerie, second half was crazy. Love it.
4.) Interstellar - Didn't adore it the first time I saw it, but now.. chills. Haunting yet hopeful.
5.) The Dark Knight Rises - I actually think this is the best of the trilogy. Powerful scenes, epic finish.
6.) The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Criminally underrated, probably the film I relate to the most.
7.) Mud - Didn't even feel like those boys were acting, felt real. Fantastic emotional scenes.
8.) Gravity - Blown away when I first saw it. Even though it has lost the impact now for me, still amazing.
9.) Les Miserables - Performances fantastic, great music, very sad.
10.) Kingsman: The Secret Service - Some of the best filmed, most fun action I've ever seen on film.

Honourable mentions: John Wick, Another Earth, Oblivion, Edge Of Tomorrow, Skyfall

lcbaseball22 wrote:American Hustle received a lot of end of year mention from critics and the guilds and it was considered a threat to win Best Pic. Just saying I've been sorely disappointed by many of the films considered among the best these past years, including Wolf of Wall Street and other aforementioned titles. I was even a bit underwhelmed by Argo, the Best Pic winner of 2013. 2010 was a banner year and 2011 was pretty great too, but I haven't been too impressed since then with critics favs or even popular titles...
I know how many nominations it got but I'm telling you that many people were pretty shocked by them. I mean I get nominations for Christian Bale and maybe even the rest of the cast... but best movie or screenplay? The awards favorites weren't that good. Especially in 2012 I thought they chose really badly. Argo also shouldn't have won.

But if you go not by critics favorites or award winneres, but rather by movie fan favorites (I'm not talking about blockbusters here either), you'd be really happy with your choices. But first of all, watch all the films you've mentioned. That's a great start.

lcbaseball22 wrote:Did I mention that I'm a huge fan of classic films and I miss the Golden Ages of Hollywood? :X

Aside from Nolan and Fincher even today's best directors can't usually hold a candle to Hitchcock, Frank Capra, Billy Wilder, Howard Hawks, Preston Sturges, etc, etc

Comedy is a particularly weak genre these days. I can't recall the last time I saw a comedy on par with the likes of You Can't Take it With You, Some Like It Hot, It Happened One Night, Arsenic and Old Lace, Bringing Up Baby, The Lady Eve, etc. :( Meet the Parents maybe? :think: Certainly nothing in this decade so far though...

Also it is no secret that original films are being dominated by the plethora of sequels, adaptations, super hero flicks, etc. Of course they aren't all bad (I do have a number of non-original films in my Top 10) and the Marvel films are actually pretty great, but still, many would agree with me that the future of the film industry looks more bleak every year...

I mean, really? This article is a joke, right?

http://www.hitfix.com/news/24-films-tha ... -year-ever

Another Terminator? Another Jurassic Park? Another Star Wars? Another Pirates of the Carribean? Another Dan Brown novel adaptation? An Avatar sequel? An Independence Day sequel? WTF?! :facepalm:

Seriously there's only a few of those films I'm even mildly anticipating...
Saying that film is dominated by superhero films or sequels is also not correct. Yes, they make more sequels now than ever, or more superhero movies now than ever... But they also make more movies now than ever. More movies in general. There's still A LOT of great independant films, there are still some great creative original films being made. I know that if you don't watch movies now, how you can have such an opinion, because the superhero flicks, etc are the ones that are most promoted. But you're wrong. There are great films being made all the time. As for anticipated list you can look at my list:
http://www.moviefancentral.com/lelekpl/top10s/32043

There are 8 original movies in my top 10 alone! And I have updated this list in a word doc to a 100 with even MORE original content. There's still A LOT to be excited this year. Don't go only by what's popular or just by what websites write. Such sites are click bait so of course they'll only have sequels and superhero adapatations on their lists!

You can say that I did the research for you. Go and check those films out. Hopefully they will deliver. I'm sure at least some of them will. But you need to look past just the commercial films or the awards darlings.

Ericmase wrote:My turn (random order):

01. INTERSTELLAR
02. Kapringen (Danish movie)
03. Kingsman: The Secret Service
04. Birdman: Or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
05. Big Hero 6
06. Gone Girl
07. Boyhood
08. Fury
09. Återträffen (Swedish movie)
10. Monica Z (Swedish movie)
11. The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies
12. The Maze Runner
13. Inception
14. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
15. Star Trek Into Darkness
16. X-Men: Days of Future Past
17. The Lego Movie
18. 12 Years a Slave
19. The Dark Knight Rises
20. Zero Dark Thirty
21. Silver Linings Playbook
22. Man of Steel (I'm serious)
23. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
24. Prisoners
25. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
26. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
27. How to Train Your Dragon 2
28. Pacific Rim
29. Deliver Us from Evil (I'm serious)
30. The Social Network
31. Noah (I'm serious)
32. X-Men: First Class
33. Gravity
34. Mud
35. Life of Pi
36. Jagten (Danish movie)
37. True Grit
38. Rise of the Planet of the Apes
39. Super 8
40. The Adventures of Tintin
41. Submarino (Danish movie)
42. En chance til (Danish movie)
43. American Sniper (I'm serious)
44. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1
45. The Grand Budapest Hotel
46. Nightcrawler
47. Guardians of the Galaxy
48. The Fault in Our Stars (I'm serious)
49. Predestination
50. The Equalizer
51. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
52. Edge of Tomorrow
53. Django Unchained
54. Her
55. A Walk Among the Tombstones
56. Godzilla
57. Non-Stop
58. Skyfall
59. The Conjuring
60. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
61. Shutter Island
62. Looper
63. Ender's Game (I'm serious)
64. The Cabin in the Woods
65. How to Train Your Dragon
66. Hugo (I'm serious)
67. Toy Story 3
68. 127 Hours
69. Captain Phillips
70. The World's End
71. Kaze tachinu
72. Take Shelter
73. Green Zone
74. Hævnen (Danish movie)
75. Kvinden i buret (Danish movie)
76. Paranormal Activity 3 (I'm serious)
77. The Angels' Share
78. Focus
79. Whiplash
80. The Imitation Game
81. Exodus: Gods and Kings (I'm serious)
82. Jupiter Ascending (I'm serious)
83. Divergent (I'm serious)
84. The Wolf of Wall Street
85. The Interview (I'm serious)
86. Lucy (I'm serious)
87. The Hunger Games
88. The Avengers
89. Taken 3 (I'm serious)
90. Furious 6
91. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (I'm serious)
92. Argo
93. The Expendables 3 (I'm serious)
94. Need for Speed (I'm serious)
95. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
96. Kick-Ass
97. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
98. Oblivion
99. Prometheus

There are TONS of other movies out there but I'm gonne stop for now lol :crazy:
How did I miss this post!? Awesome list! I like a lot of those myself. A bunch of them not so much, naturally, but that's usually what happens when you make a list of a 100 ;)

I LOVE YOUR NUMBER ONE though.

And I also haven't seen a lot of the scandinavian films you have on this list. I might check them out. If you could look at my list again, at my taste and maybe recommend two or three of them to me, that'd be great.
bootsy wrote:Top 20
11. The Raid 2
YES!!! Finally, someone else has it on their list.

If there's so many original films and Hollywood hasn't gone "creatively Bankrupt" than why were so many concerned that a flop for Inception or Interstellar could be a nail in the coffin for original film-making as we know it? It's no surprise that studios don't like taking risks on something that has not proven popular in some form, which is why we're inundated with sequels, reboots, adaptations, etc.

Aside from the foreigners (Cuaron, Innaritu) that have dominated the Oscars the past few years that leaves us primarily with indie films from the likes of Richard Linklater and Wes Anderson, one which I'll keep and the other I'd throw to the fishes. Then again this has been an apparent problem for a while...

http://www.slashfilm.com/only-two-of-th ... -original/
In fact, out of the top 50 grossing films of this decade, there are only 9 movies based on original properties. And five of those nine films were created by Pixar Animation Studios. How sad…

American Hustle was alright. The performances were fun but that's it. Argo was another movie you mentioned and i was underwhelmed by it as well. Trust me, the majority of the films you listed are fantastic.

shauner111 wrote:American Hustle was alright. The performances were fun but that's it. Argo was another movie you mentioned and i was underwhelmed by it as well. Trust me, the majority of the films you listed are fantastic.
I guess I just had high hopes for both considering the previous films directed by David O. Russell and Ben Affleck; The Fighter/Silver Linings Playbook and Gone Baby Gone/The Town, respectively. The fact that I've been underwhelmed lately by films put out by directors whose work I've previously liked makes me apprehensive to gamble and potentially waste time with others, a few of which the director's (ie PTA) previous work hasn't even gone down well. I hope say The Master or Inherent Vice is far better...

P.S.

Even acclaimed directors Steven Spielberg, Martin Scorsese, Clint Eastwood, Ridley Scott, Ron Howard, Woody Allen, Rob Reiner, Michael Mann, etc have disappointed; past their prime, lost their touch and perhaps time for at least a few of them to retire? :shifty: Then again, if they do, what does that leave us...?

People who say original film will disappear when Nolan retires just don't know what the hell they're talking about.

Original movies are still made and you mentioned them Birdman, Gravity these are Hollywood films! Just because they happen to have a latino dir doesn't mean anything. They're Hollywood produced... And many more like them