Red Sparrow (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Fox Taps ‘American Hustle’ Scribe For ‘Red Sparrow;’ David Fincher, Rooney Mara Circle
Fox is in talks with American Hustle scribe Eric Warren Singer to adapt the Jason Matthews espionage book Red Sparrow for Chernin Entertainment and Film Rites to produce. They have David Fincher and Rooney Mara circling to re-team for the first time since The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. The film will be produced by Chernin Entertainment and Film Rites’ Steve Zaillian and Garrett Basch. Zaillian wrote that 2011 adaptation of the Stieg Larsson novel.

This is early days, because Singer will have to adapt the book, but with the interest from Fincher and Mara, they have reason to move quickly. The story is set in present-day Russia, and Mara would play Russian intelligence officer Dominika Egorova, who struggles to survive in the post-Soviet intelligence jungle. Ordered against her will to become a “Sparrow,” a trained seductress in the art of ‘sexpionage,’ Dominika is assigned to operate against Nathaniel Nash, a young CIA officer who handles the Agency’s most important Russian mole. The two begin a relationship that puts both of them, and a network of spies, in grave danger. Dominika winds up seeking revenge against her soulless masters, and living a fatal double life after she is recruited by the CIA to ferret out a high-level traitor in Washington. She also hunts down a Russian illegal buried deep in the U.S. military and, against all odds, to return to Moscow as the new-generation penetration of Vladimir Putin’s intelligence service. This has been a hot project at the studio and for Chernin and Film Rites previously had Darren Aronofsky circling.
http://www.deadline.com/2014/06/fox-tap ... um=twitter

Maybe this means Fincher/Mara are done with Millennium.

I like the sound of this. Fincher tackling espionage really excites me the most, and Mara might be able to pass as a Russian based on her looks, but I hope she'll have time to work on the accent.

I suggest this book to everyone. I got obsessed with it last year. :thumbup:

Mara is not how I envision for Dominika but I have faith in Fincher so I'll just leave it at that.

I love Fincher and like Mara, but why not give the chance to do this to a "newbie" like Michod or Batmanglij and to another actress like Brit Marling or Elizabeth Debicki?
TalkOnCorners wrote:I suggest this book to everyone. I got obsessed with it last year. :thumbup:

Mara is not how I envision for Dominika but I have faith in Fincher so I'll just leave it at that.
Which are your suggestions for the lead roles?

theseeker9175 wrote:I love Fincher and like Mara, but why not give the chance to do this to a "newbie" like Michod or Batmanglij and to another actress like Brit Marling or Elizabeth Debicki?
TalkOnCorners wrote:I suggest this book to everyone. I got obsessed with it last year. :thumbup:

Which are your suggestions for the lead roles?
Someone with a shapely figure and can do sexy/seducing really, really well. Charlize or Eva Green would be good but they're both old for the role. Honestly, you can't read this book and not think of a younger Scarlett Johansson (because the role is a bit reminiscent of Natasha Romanoff) but for that reason, I think she's too obvious for the role. This could be a great role for an unknown...

TalkOnCorners wrote:This could be a great role for an unknown...

Another book I'm reading because of Finch.

BlairCo wrote:Mara might be able to pass as a Russian based on her looks
Do Russians look any different from other Caucasians? Basically anyone who's white can pass as a Russian, me thinks. Especially if you handle the accent.
jcvargas09 wrote:
TalkOnCorners wrote:This could be a great role for an unknown...
Agreed.

is this like a green arrow movie or something

m4st4 wrote:Another book I'm reading because of Finch.
If we are in that plan, see The Day Britain Stopped. Fox and Scott want (or wanted) Fincher for the adaptationof that mockumentary (Blanchett is also circling)