Red Sparrow (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Just came back from it and :clap: Can't wait to see it again Thursday and see the look on my friends' faces.

Atomic Blonde/Black Widow redux this is not. I totally understand why it's so divisive amongst critics and why some may find it either too boring or way too brutal (this and Jen really go places) and why it both completely appropriate and inappropriate with the current climate.

I really hope they adapt the sequel books - some of the changes they've made here provide some interesting challenges for adapting these and I will say that they are a lot more crowdpleasing and lend themselves better to film than this one. They did a surprisingly great job here making it work. side note about people wishing Aronofsky and Fincher stayed, they’d have been working with the Cold War-set Eric Warren Singer draft. Which is…basically a shitty parody.

It's next on my list after having seen Annihilation and before Tomb Raider.

antovolk wrote:
February 27th, 2018, 6:40 pm
Just came back from it and :clap: Can't wait to see it again Thursday and see the look on my friends' faces.

Atomic Blonde/Black Widow redux this is not. I totally understand why it's so divisive amongst critics and why some may find it either too boring or way too brutal (this and Jen really go places) and why it both completely appropriate and inappropriate with the current climate.

I really hope they adapt the sequel books - some of the changes they've made here provide some interesting challenges for adapting these and I will say that they are a lot more crowdpleasing and lend themselves better to film than this one. They did a surprisingly great job here making it work. side note about people wishing Aronofsky and Fincher stayed, they’d have been working with the Cold War-set Eric Warren Singer draft. Which is…basically a shitty parody.
Anything particular to say about score, production design, editing? Also how was J-Law’s accent, cheesy in a good way a la TGWTDT?

Actually very excited to see this considering I enjoyed J-Law's performance in mother! and the spy genre is lacking a bit these days; this seems to restore some interest.

m4st4 wrote:
February 28th, 2018, 9:39 am

Anything particular to say about score, production design, editing? Also how was J-Law’s accent, cheesy in a good way a la TGWTDT?
JNH does some great work in this and the production design is on point (the Kremlin stuff especially, they absolutely nailed that). Accents I had zero issue with, yes Fincher's TGWTDT is a great comparison in so many aspects. In fact, they'd make a great double bill.

It was pretty decent and I was engrossed though the middle does drag a little bit, but not something I feel I need to rewatch. Jennifer Lawrence was good I thought, as was Joel Edgerton.

6.75 out of 10

5 is average on my scale
<----------5---*------->

Two and a half hours for nothing.

m4st4 wrote:
March 14th, 2018, 6:41 pm
Jlaw nude scenes?

Allstar wrote:
March 14th, 2018, 6:48 pm
m4st4 wrote:
March 14th, 2018, 6:41 pm
Jlaw nude scenes?
Eh. There’s no emotional impact to any of it. The articles yelled ‘rape scenes(!)’ and whatnot, I thought well heavy themes are appreciated if done right but this here is just... lite, on every level. See TGWTDT for the right sort of stress level and filmmaking I say. Or Gone Girl (you know the scene). And J-Law was pretty good, really carried the whole thing, but not always. The accent went in the way from time to time. And there was strangely no chemistry between her and Edgerton, and they’re huge buddies irl. Irons was there to take the check. I’d probably give the movie three stars (out of five), but just barely.