Marvel Cinematic Universe Discussion Thread

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Michaelf2225 wrote:
October 4th, 2019, 1:29 pm
he’s right but there’s nothing wrong with liking theme parks
Exactly! You can enjoy these movies and realize that they may not have much depth and that's okay too. Schlock is a valid film genre.

So Scorsese expressed an opinion about something. Did the world end yet?

Batfan175 wrote:
October 4th, 2019, 2:49 pm
So Scorsese expressed an opinion about something. Did the world end yet?
i wish it would.

marty, baby, say something so controversial that we all just die. pls.

The fans throwing a hissy fit over this are the worst. The fans won, nerds conquered popular culture. Their superhero films are the only real blockbusters around nowadays. We might need a superhero to save us from superhero movies at this point. So Scorsese tried to like films from the genre and he didn't and, honestly, that's ok. The fans will be ok.
The way Disney/Marvel/Sony/WB make these films, these movies seem totally like corporate and mass produced ads for themselves most of the time, celebrating their own success in arrogant decadence and people have been dunking on me for saying that for years. But I know that I'm only speaking for myself and that i am in a huge minority on this. I can't make movies like Martin Scorsese though so whenever someone says 'well why don't you make better films yourself?' I cannot do that but for these fanboys to say that to Martin Scorsese of all people when he dares say he doesn't think these films are cinema? How much longer do we have to wait for these people to grow up?

Yeah I feel you. The over defensiveness is so lame to see and is such a gross example of late stage capitalism.

The films just don't fit his personal definition of cinema and that's okay. Everyone has their own definition of what cinema is and if the MCU movies fit that for you, why does it matter who Scorsese says?

There's a lot of insecurity from comic book movie fans and I really don't get it. Nearly all these movies make a killing at the box office and people enjoy them. There is no reason to get so defensive over them just because one person doesn't like the movies.

I personally have no problem with him saying he doesn't like those films, but to say it's not cinema..?

Like you might say hip-hop is not for you and that's perfectly fine but to say it's not music or art to begin with, that's not an opinion, it's just snobbery.

Master Virgo wrote:
October 4th, 2019, 3:24 pm
I personally have no problem with him saying he doesn't like those films, but to say it's not cinema..?

Like you might say hip-hop is not for you and that's perfectly fine but to say it's not music or art to begin with, that's not an opinion, it's just snobbery.
Then at worst Martin Scorsese expressed an opinion that might make him look like a snob when it comes to these films, that's it. People can still disagree with his assessment in a respectful way. This constant insecurity about both critically and financially successful mainstream pop culture properties that people obsess over is quite tiring and people should be mature enough to understand that not everyone will like what they like.

Batfan175 wrote:
October 4th, 2019, 3:10 pm
The fans throwing a hissy fit over this are the worst. The fans won, nerds conquered popular culture. Their superhero films are the only real blockbusters around nowadays. We might need a superhero to save us from superhero movies at this point. So Scorsese tried to like films from the genre and he didn't and, honestly, that's ok. The fans will be ok.
The way Disney/Marvel/Sony/WB make these films, these movies seem totally like corporate and mass produced ads for themselves most of the time, celebrating their own success in arrogant decadence and people have been dunking on me for saying that for years. But I know that I'm only speaking for myself and that i am in a huge minority on this. I can't make movies like Martin Scorsese though so whenever someone says 'well why don't you make better films yourself?' I cannot do that but for these fanboys to say that to Martin Scorsese of all people when he dares say he doesn't think these films are cinema? How much longer do we have to wait for these people to grow up?

What's funny is that MCU haters are now using this opportunity to vilify their long standing position that these films aren't worth much because one master filmmaker has dismissed them.

Like bruh, Tarantino loves Ragnarok and Avengers, Nolan loves Black Panther and Spielberg loves Guardians of the Galaxy, so get over yourself, lol.